BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a set of demon eyes. When turned on, the blown bulb indicator lights up on the dash. How can I recalibrate this?

·
Registered
703 Posts
replace the blown lightbulb
maybe its a corner light that went out...

John V

How do the DDEs look?

·
Registered
651 Posts
It depends on how you wired it ? I had a few minor issues with warning lights when having my DAE's done becuase I wanted the DAE's wired to replace the factory lights.

I'm guessing the DDE's come with instructions on how to wire it a specific way ?

Stuart.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hi DDX. It wasn't a big issue to get over it. I had my dealer cut the existing side lights so that the could be re-wired in at a later date if required, e.g. went off the DAE's and wanted to go back to bulbs etc. The power feed was taken from the main wire(s) supplying the side light bulbs which connected to 1 relay on either side. Each DAE light box was then wired to 1 relay and that was it. We tried using only 1 relay and there wasn't any warning lights in the dash, but the comp recognised incorrect resistance or voltage causing the driver side indicator to stay on permanently (supposedly some backup system incase computer misses the main one ?). Going with both relays fixed this.

Quite basic really, but I wanted the DAE's to completly replace the factory side lights, but I still wanted my rear lights to come on. Prefer to be seen etc, don't want to be rear ended :)

Hth,
Stuart.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everything was as per instruction, the kit even comes with a plug that plugs directly into the sidelight holder. If it is wired the wrong way the DDE will not light up at all. The warning I get is sidelight and dipbeam warning once the ignition is turned on. Also both front indicators light up but will flash brighter when signalling. Very strange. I spoke to a friend who suggested disconnecting the battery for appox 1min so that the car computer will reset all memory parameters and 'learn' the new resistance across the DDE. Any thoughts?

·
Site Sponsor
18,523 Posts
that makes sense - but let me guess - you connected the DDE's to the side markers?
Not the fogs?

My hunch is that you are sending an incorrect voltaget to the computer because you may have connected to the 6volt (someone correct me if I'm wrong) of the parking lamp and not the 12V of the turn signal - which you don't want to do anyway.

For simplicity, I recommend the Fog assembly.

My customer had this but it 'magically' went away when he restarted his car after leaving it off for 5 minutes and didn't get it again.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I had the same problem, when I tried connecting DAEs to parking lights(the little bulbs inside highbeams). With only one side connected - everything was fine, but when 2nd bulb is connected - then the warning light will light. I tried connecting each bulb to the wires on their side. Next day I rewired DAE through relay and took trigger from parking light and everything is nice now.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Yep diff voltage would produce a warning light.... why not just hook the DDE's straight up to the battery, through a relay which turns on with your side/parkers ?

·
Registered
647 Posts
If you are going to hook it to the battery, have it turn on via an independent switch, that way you have the most control as to when you want them on with or without other lights being on. But, it wouldn't light your rear unless you turn at least the parking lights on too, I guess thats what you are trying to overcome. I have a wiring diagram for it.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Umnitza,
I get you now. Hard wire in parallel connection to the fogs so that the fog switch will control both the fogs and DDE. I think the sidelamp runs on 6V.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts