E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Headlamp controler Query

7K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  ECSTuning 
#1 ·
Hi. My left headlamp is out. Bulbs are new. Nothing fancy about it. They are adaptive (move with the car turning) Mechanic switched exciters/ignitors around and same problem. He says it's the control module. So I find one from KO online. "Part #63127189312-9. Control Unit for Adaptive Headlight Control (2 Per Car) NOTE: Requires programming after installation."

Is it this simple? Buy the module, have my mechanic install. Then I suppose I need to have it programmed?

A little nervous about this but I am loath to go to my dealer because I shudder at the cost.

Newbie here and appreciate the help.

#4 ·
63127189312 is the "Control Unit For Adaptive Curve Lighting" as seen in the photo below.

If you have HIDs it's most likely the ballast, if you have ZKW headlights in the car it will look like this and can be found HERE:

If you have the AL headlights it'll look like the photo below and I have that ballast avaible HERE.

I highly suggest doing as Jake suggested and switching the ballasts just to insure there is nothing else wrong.

#5 ·
ECS...

Many thanks for the helpful reply and pictures. Is there a way to know if the headlamps are ZKW or AL without taking the whole thing apart? It's pretty crowded and hard to see in there. Can I tell from the VIN or .....?

Feeling stupid but grateful,

Fran

#8 ·
I have the AL lights. The mechanic says it is a"big job" to change this part (remove both headlamps completely). To avoid doing this possibly twice, he suggests that we have the part available and ready to install at that time. Any thoughts on this matter would be appreciated.

#11 ·
The E46 had a facelift in the 2004 model year, for the headlights the easy thing to look at is the shape of the turn signals. If they have a downward slant that's pre-facelift, if they have an upward slant that's a facelifted car. The diagram below should help you get the idea a little better, the headlights on the far right side that looks a little "funky" are the European E46 compact headlights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.