E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
The 02 sims are working great for me still. 2 years and counting.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Cats arrived today. Overall they look pretty decent, not exactly Kromer Kraft workmanship, but decent. I'm a bit disappointed in the interior interface between the flange and primaries, especially at this price point. If these were $50 ebay sourced headers I would understand. Once I get pics up you guys can tell me what you think. I suppose it might be possible to do some fill welding and then grind it back down to make a smooth interior transition but I'm not sure how much difference it would really make with cats in the flow.

No time to get any pics up tonight but I should be able to post pics and weights tomorrow night.

Anyone have stock manifolds just laying around that could take some pics of the interior flange-primary interface for comparison to these MagnaFlow units? Would also like to get some measurements on the size of the ports cut into the stock flanges for comparison.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Cats arrived today. Overall they look pretty decent, not exactly Kromer Kraft workmanship, but decent. I'm a bit disappointed in the interior interface between the flange and primaries, especially at this price point. If these were $50 ebay sourced headers I would understand. Once I get pics up you guys can tell me what you think. I suppose it might be possible to do some fill welding and then grind it back down to make a smooth interior transition but I'm not sure how much difference it would really make with cats in the flow.

No time to get any pics up tonight but I should be able to post pics and weights tomorrow night.

Anyone have stock manifolds just laying around that could take some pics of the interior flange-primary interface for comparison to these MagnaFlow units? Would also like to get some measurements on the size of the ports cut into the stock flanges for comparison.
Sorry to hear they do not meet your expectations!! I have my stock headers in the garage. Once you post some pics, I will try to take some pics at the same angles.

·
Registered
455 Posts
"the interior interface between the flange and primaries"

This will have an effect IF the primary tubing inside the flange is outside or inside the outer edge of the exhaust ports on the head. Just a matter of measuring to find out.

Jim

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
"the interior interface between the flange and primaries"

This will have an effect IF the primary tubing inside the flange is outside or inside the outer edge of the exhaust ports on the head. Just a matter of measuring to find out.

Jim
Thanks. My hope, based on feedback from Adam (and to be confirmed with measurements), is that the primary tubing is larger than the exhaust ports.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Any update?

Jim
No, I've been too busy with work lately to make any progress on this. I'd expect at least another 6-8 weeks before I have them installed. I think I'm going to see about getting Swain to coat them and I have no idea yet what their turnaround time on that might be so it could be even longer.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Small update for you guys. Several of the cylinders had gaps between the primary pipes inside the flange that bugged me and, on 2 cylinders, part of the primary actually protruded 1-2 mm beyond the mating surface of the flange. I was able to reshape the edge of the primaries a little so that they lay flat inside the flange cutouts and then ground down the extra material to ensure that the flange is able to properly seat against the head. Got them boxed back up and shipped off to Swain for coating. Should have them back within about a month. Hopefully I can make time for a dyno session between now and then.

·
Keep it clean
7,408 Posts
Excellent! Hit me up when you go to the dyno. I'll join you.

Small update for you guys. Several of the cylinders had gaps between the primary pipes inside the flange that bugged me and, on 2 cylinders, part of the primary actually protruded 1-2 mm beyond the mating surface of the flange. I was able to reshape the edge of the primaries a little so that they lay flat inside the flange cutouts and then ground down the extra material to ensure that the flange is able to properly seat against the head. Got them boxed back up and shipped off to Swain for coating. Should have them back within about a month. Hopefully I can make time for a dyno session between now and then.

41 - 60 of 260 Posts