BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys a while back i posted about installing my headers and that i was going to wrap them and some of you where interested in what it would look like and why. Some of you had a few questions so here are the Answers

-Whats the point?
Well im no scientist but here is what i know/have found. On Big HP hot rods the headers can get bright red after a hard run and can burn things and heats up the air under the hood.

Know i know our BMWs dont pump out lots of power but the headers do get hotter than stock. Header wrap does 2 things. Keeps the exhaust hot while keeping the engine bay cool. Colder air makes more power everyone knows that. Colder air = more power

A set of wrapped headers vs un wrapped in our BMWs alone the engine bay was nearly 300 F in tempature difference. Its cheaper than coating and works BETTER. The rest is explained in a picture below and it is TRUE.

-Will header wrap "wear out" my headers?
If correctly done right NO!

-What Kind of Wrap did you use and where did you obtain it.
I have a friend here in town that owns a racing shop (Queen city performance) Who was the main guy to parts from back in the day if you had a muscle car you went to him, so i bought some from him.

The kind of wrap dosent really matter since its really matter since its really all the same but ive been using this stuff for years

-How do i know how much wrap to use?
Good question there is a formula for that ! Its even on the box !

-how much overlap do i use.
Dont use more than 1/4" overlap More than a 1/4" overlap will make spots of the headers too hot and cause fatuige which people incorrectly think the fatuige is from water or being wet
Here is a tip, after cutting the correct lengths soak the strips in water. this will help you when it comes time to bending the wrap how you want it

Anywho here are a few pictures of the wrapping that i did on my headers if you have any questions feel free to shoot off a pm.

By e46330i at 2011-04-25

By e46330i at 2011-04-25

By e46330i at 2011-04-25

·
Registered
669 Posts
looks really good! i need to wrap mine up before i install, how long did that take you?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! It only took me about 30 min, Be sure to wear latex gloves and long shirts so you dont get ichy from the fiber glass!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Dang I knew I should have done this, but someone said thet when you wrap headers its alot easier for them to crack.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have never seen headers cracking due to being wrapped

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Bimmer App

·
Registered
730 Posts
yeah either have I, thats just what I heard before installing. How is it working for you? Looks to be legit.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Has anyone done this and noticed a change in performance? Anything qualitative is nice but quantitave would be better :)

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Works great although the headers do raise the engine bay temp a little bit not anywhere near as much if they where un wrapped. as for HP gains you wouldnt notice it very much on our cars but a Big block it would be very noticeable

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Yeah i was iffy too when it came to wrapping my headers... OP, you think i can wrap them while installed on the car?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:lmao: No, well maybe with ALOT of swearing. You probably installed you headers yourself so you know how tight it is down there. There are a few tricky spots to wrap even when out of the car your best bet is to do it before installed

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
:lmao: No, well maybe with ALOT of swearing. You probably installed you headers yourself so you know how tight it is down there. There are a few tricky spots to wrap even when out of the car your best bet is to do it before installed
yeah, well maybe it wont come out as perfect when wrapped already installed, but im sure it can be done. Yes I did install them by myself, and by the way they dont look bright, shiny, and chrome anymore; they are dark like exhaust tubing. I guess thats what happens from extreme heat... even to stainless steel. plus I feel the heat soak whenever the temperture is hot outdoors.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I wrapped the headers on my MX-6 in 2002, and took the wrap off to look at the headers in 2008 during a top-end rebuild.
With 6 years and over 100,000 miles on them, they were still in good shape. The stories of cracked/corroded headers from wrapping are largely blown out of proportion.

Headers look great, OP! Wrapping mine soon. There is very little space between some of the parallel pipes, I am impressed that you were able to wrap all of the runners separately.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do it right or dont do it at all. You want to do it right dont you? If you try to do this while they are installed it would be nearly impossible and the job will be VERY poor. Trust me.
And thanks! just have to take your time and it will look great. on the far firewall section it was actually impossible to wrap them seperatly as there isnt enought room between pipes so you need to wrap all three from a certain point to the dumps. Start from where they bolt up to the engine one pipe at a time its the easiest , you will see what i mean once you get at it

·
Registered
655 Posts
i keep putting off wrapping because i dont know how im gonna handle the tight spots. plus i dont wanna do a lousy job. do you have any words of advice for a nervous fanatic such as myself?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will post a few more pictures of the far section to give you an idea of how it was done. Do the firewall section first. its the easiest. Wear gloves and a long sleeve shirt. Measure out you pieces carefully and run them through some water first it will make the strips bend easier. Start from the flanges where it bolts to the motor and work your way down. making sure to keep a 1/4 inch overlap. it dosent need to be perfect but try your hardest. There are some places where there will be gaps because of how the pipe turned and you cannot pull the wrap tight while keeping the overlap. thats fine too. Place the hose clams where i did and youll be fine! just take it slow!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts