BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys were so helpful in the buying advice thread I posted

... thought I'd give you all an update. He bought an E46!!!

Here's the ad:

We had it checked out by a reputable independent BMW shop. I think he did pretty good!

·
Registered
2003 BMW 325CI convertible, Oct '02 prod. date, 111K miles
98 Posts
looks very nice, great color !

Spend some time in this forum learning about the likely areas of failure that can be catastrophic - I jumped on the DISA valve upgrade and coolant system, monitor oil consumption, etc. (03 325CI Vert)

·
Registered
2004 BMW 325ci convertible
116 Posts
You guys were so helpful in the buying advice thread I posted

... thought I'd give you all an update. He bought an E46!!!

View attachment 915696

Here's the ad:

View attachment 915699

View attachment 915700

We had it checked out by a reputable independent BMW shop. I think he did pretty good!
I'll buy it for $7,500.00

Serious offer.

·
Registered
E46 '04 330Ci convertible 750K km
1,142 Posts
Great looking car,
now read all important links of this forum, buy INPA or other diagnostic tool and inspect everything closely.
Lucky one,
there are less and less cars of such condition!

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
The engine shouldn’t have oil consumption issues as it’s an M5425 engine. “M54” is the engine family. The M54 was built as 2.2 liter, 2.5 liter and 3 liter displacements. The 3 liter uses oil because of the low tension oil control rings.

Nice find!

·
Registered
2008 BMW 328i; 2002 BMW M3; 2001 BMW 325Ci
49 Posts
Looks clean. Fantastic car!

Not buying the maintenance history though - hope you got receipts.

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
2,706 Posts
Looks clean. Fantastic car!

Not buying the maintenance history though - hope you got receipts.
Yup ... taking those representations with a grain of salt would not be a bad idea ... trust but verify. Get in there a look. If things are new they should be cleaner than surroundings. Also, if the window regulators were replaced hopefully the door vapor barriers were not torn or were resealed with fresh butyl tape ... sometimes shortcuts are taken with these things.

In any case, sooner or later he will need to do some kind of work on the car so getting familiar with it and how to lift it safely onto jack stands is a good idea. If he hasn't already, checking out some 50skid videos on youtube is a good starting point; here is a common repair step overview that is helpful:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts