BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They light up, but they don't work for some reason. Can someone explain to me what could be the possible problems and what I will need to do to get it fixed?

·
Registered
231 Posts
do you have any problems unlocking the car with the key fob?...if so it could be an actuator in the door itself, i've heard this is kinda common

otherwise the contacts in the switches could have gone bad....maybe you can pop the switch cover off and clean the contacts yourself

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used to until I lost my original key. My extra is the same copy, but for some reason the buttons don't work on this one. I thought I did do the sync right in my car, but I'm gonna go and try to do it again. But when I press the buttons on the key, the red light does show up. It could be the battery, I'm not sure though.
If the contacts went bad, how do I replace them? Will cleaning them work for sure? And how do I pop the switch cover off of them?

·
Registered
231 Posts
cant replace the contacts, would have to replace the switch itself....popping a switch apart is easy sometimes and hard others lol...i myself havent pulled these apart to check it out so i couldnt tell you...i would try the key sync again

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, for some reason I can't program the key to get it to work. The locks don't lock/unlock to confirm that it has worked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you drink and drive (non-alcoholic of course), you may have spilled something down into the switches. Sometimes the switch will not shift properly if they have something causing them to stick. You could try removing tem and clean ing them with an electrical contact cleaner. I've never tried to take these apart but on some of the older switches I have taken apart most of the time they can be made to work by cleaning them up and checking for proper function before you put them back in.

·
Registered
33,108 Posts
The hazards and central locking button both send their signals through one group of bunched wires and one connector. There is a chance that this connector may have become loose or damaged. Pop out the hazard and lock button assembly to inspect everything.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I popped off the Hazards and Lock button, and I had no clue what to do. I could still press them after they were off an they still worked. Looks like it just doesn't get pressed down far enough?
And the key programming is still not working. I'm pretty sure I'm doing it right. The locks don't lock and unlock to confirm tat it has worked.

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
underneath the unit there should be a clip holding it together. This happened to my dads like 2 years ago when he had one so Im trying to picture it..try holding the bottom snug and pressing the buttons

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm...I think I pulled off the wrong thing then. All I did was pull off the cap to the hazards and lock button. When I took off the hazards, there was like a white box w/ the light bulb at the bottom. The lock button, when that came off, it had the white part on it with it still. Am I doing something wrong here?
Sorry for all the questions, but I'm not that informed about how to do stuff with cars. This is why I'm asking all these questions for as much detail as I can get.

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
no its fine here I will tell you how to get to it. You need to remove the center console. there are screws in the front tray, under the shift boot and two in the rear ashtray. Sounds like a PITA but its not. remove the whole center (vacuum if needed :p ) and then you will be able to access the whole unit in its entirety

1 - 13 of 13 Posts