BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just purchased this car @ 2 weeks ago
I noticed the Hazard / Door lock was not working. The buttons will light up but did not work. So I decided to pull the console to check the switch and document it.

1: Remove the cup holder.

2: Remove coin holder pulling forward and up.

3: Pull the shifter boot by either squeezing the sides or front and back and pull straight up.

4: Remove 2 screws holding the window switch bezel and pull back first, then lift up a little to see the window switch plugs. The wires are short so don't pull it up too much.

5: Remove 2 plugs for window switches, tilt shifter boot and remove bezel.

6: For the parking brake boot, squeeze the boot on either side and pull up.
NOTE: If your brakes needs adjusting, now is the time to do it.
while holding brake pedal, wheels chocked, or in gear (not running) pull parking brake 2 clicks and tighten each adjusting nut the same amount of turns. one is for the left and one is for the right. Release and recheck and redo procedure if lever is too high. If the car still rolls then you may have to adjust your parking brakes at the wheels.

7: Open the rear ashtray door and remove the ashtray. Remove 2 plastic screws and remove lower ashtray holder. Unplug light from ashtray holder. Remove 2 lower console screws.

8: Turn armrest up and lift front of center console so that you can get your fingers under the switch to push it up and out. Unplug the connector. Put new switch in and reinstall everything.

This is why it wasn't working. The clips were broken.

The other side was good.

All back together again.

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
I had to change mine recently but I didn't bother with all the work you did on the console, just steps 3,4 than 8. The front of the console lifts enough to pop the switch out. Unplug and plug in the new one ($40 from local wrecker). Mine had failed in the same way, the clips had broken.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks for the great write up. While I didnt replace the switch, I just used some duct tape to secure the bottom part. tested and it seems to have worked.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts