E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My driver side zenon headlight (p/n: 63217160806 MSRP: $216.64/a piece) flickered out and now, i believe, needs to be replaced. My question is..should I replace both or just the one that is out. I found it here for $76.44 (http://www.bmwpartsweb.com/BMW-Part...l__63217160806-OSRAM-SYLVANIA-ID-F2F3267.aspx) Do you guys think it is worth it? (go brand, ect) Do you believe that they will be the same color as they are now?

Thanks, Drew.

·
Registered
601 Posts
http://www.khoalty.com/bmw-e46/lights/d2s-xenon-replacement-bulb.html

People have been pretty happy with ours, I'm not saying they are the only option, just a solid option that we've been selling since around 2008.

Ours come in a pair, so both bulbs would be equal output of 'color' and brightness, purchasing one new bulb from the dealer or whomever (the site you listed could possibly be the same bulb we sell, unsure as they don't list much detail) would likely be noticeably different than your existing one, I have not seen this in real life, but I'm fairly certain it is beyond 'myth' status, and true. The reasoning is the bulbs 'burn in' over time, losing or gaining 'color' output, and over time OEM bulbs do, in fact, get less bright.

So if you order from us, 4300k would be closest to OEM imo, if you order from somewhere else you really should get both bulbs and replace them at the same time, so you have equal color and output on both sides :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would like the purest white light possible. Is 45k the yellow or white?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am going to trust your site and order the 5k's thanks for the great pricing.

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Go with Philips or Osram. The absolute best 5000k bulb you can buy today is the Osram 66240CBI, but they're a little hard to find. No matter what though, a 4300-5000K from a brand name will put out quite a bit more light than the poorly made Chinese bulbs. I'd be willing to bet that even a 6000K bulb from a highend brand would be better than a 5000 no-name.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I ordered 6000k bulbs from khoalty like 2 months ago and it has a slight yellow tint to it. My previous ebay ones was whiter. Not sure if they sent the wrong ones

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
I ordered 6000k bulbs from khoalty like 2 months ago and it has a slight yellow tint to it. My previous ebay ones was whiter. Not sure if they sent the wrong ones

You need to put something like 50 hours on a bulb before it shifts to its true color.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Doesnt make sense bur Ok I will observe. I only have like 2 hours.

You need to put something like 50 hours on a bulb before it shifts to its true color.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ordered the 5k. Thanks for the quick response. I will post back once I get them installed.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I loved the look of my old ones. Hopefully these will match up close. If not, I am willing to loose 25 to try.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just updating everyone. Once I went to try and replace the bulb I saw that one of the wires were spilt apart. I used a butt connector and some electrical tape to fix it and boom...the oem light worked! So I am keeping the other bulbs just in case. I tested one and it functioned and looked extremely bright, seems like a good buy.

·
Registered
210 Posts
is the 5k option not available anymore? will the 4.3k be bright white? or more yellow?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Well I have no idea how OEM looks like cause my xenons are pretty much yellow after they warm up now, which looks gross with my new 6k AEs
So I just ordered the 6k bulbs off of you guys today to be safe

1 - 16 of 16 Posts