Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I have had the failure on an e46 model not listed

Votes: 6 21.4%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Go fast Daddy!
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have read here and elsewhere about subframe and cross member failures. How about we begin collecting some data about this problem in this poll. Please vote if you have had a cross member failure and please post a reply to this thread in addition to your vote indicating the following information if you have it available.

1. Model (323i, 323ci, 325i, 325ci, 328i, 328ci, 330i, 330ci) also other models, but I'm not that familiar with all the model designations of ix, iT, etc. and I don't expect due to their production volume that we will get many replies with these models (I could be wrong).

2. How many miles were on your car when the failure occurred?

3. The production date if you know it.

I'm not going to ask you if you have changed your suspension or tracked your car, because I don't think this should matter. Besides, I want to protect the innocent and get some honest replies.

·
Registered
270 Posts
No, but I'm sure it's in the mail.

·
Bimmerless
1,862 Posts
I had subframe failure on my E30. It had about 130k miles of very hard driving. The subframe itself was fine, but the holes where the rear axel was connected to it were under too much stress, the thread became stripped, and the axel would not stay tight. To picture it, the hole is supposed to be about the width of a pencil, but with all the stress I put on the car, the holes grew to about the size of a dime.

Part was $1200, labor another $500

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
had it on my 328i, back in Sept, and having it again now cuz the dealership made a weak weld on the subframe to fix it back when it happened in Sept. By the way, the car had 25k miles on it

·
Go fast Daddy!
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
will917 said:
why dont you include an "i have not had a failure" line? that way we could see how proportionate it is.
There were only 10 spots for a question. I'm more interested in attempting to discover how wide spread the problem is from posters here as opposed to calculating a meaningless statistic.

·
Bimmerless
1,862 Posts
Ed328ci said:
What are the symptoms?

Ed
Possible symptoms:

-Car is unsteady
-fishtales when you floor it(this was my main symptom, I had 3 transmission shops tell me it was my differential)
-car jerks around turns

·
Registered
117 Posts
That "leaning wobble" in hard turns definitely reared it's head after our Boys in Blue (BMW techs) misdiagnosed my "noise coming from rear under hard accel. in lower gears" complaint as worn front lower control arms. I guess that the tighter front end caused the fault in the rear to become much more apparent.

Model: 328 Ci
Miles: unknown, suspect it failed on prior owner at 40-45k
Prod date: can't remember, think it's late 99 (Sept?)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Oh, BTW, the body shop estimator is officially calling my car "undriveable," because of the broken suspension - driving it unacceptably risks, in his 20-year experience, my life. Thanks, BMWNA!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Makes me wonder?????

2000 323ci. no problems yet, 30,000 miles. I have a DTM wing, you think if I get the problem the dealer will give me bull$#@???

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
I don't have the money now, but I should get my 88 325IS checked out, the noise is unbearable at the rear, I thought it would be the diferential. I had the bearings changed and it quiet for some time, but the noise is so loud now. I do have to change the suspension, and I do remenber reading about not putting an antiroll bar at the rear or the towers will break off..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts