E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
but not to replace just to add to my garage. I currently have a LeMans Blue 02 M5 and an Audi S4 (chipped). I love my M5 so much that I want a daily driver just like it but I need an auto since I am stuck on the California freeways so much. The Audi is a capable car (chipped it really pulls hard) but after dumping my E55 and picking up the M5 I know I want a daily driver just like the M5.

Is the M3 a capable daily driver, maybe 1200-1500 miles per month max? I have never driven one and wanted to get your opinions first. Of course it has to have SMG- and I really only want a color that takes less time to worry about than that LeMans Blue I have. Dont get me wrong LeMans is awesome but its great on a second car that doesnt rack up the miles and gets dusty so easily. I like silver but my dealer has a Steel Grey. How hard is it to keep Steel Grey clean??

Finally living in California, what is the going rate for an SMG 03- sticker or less?? I got the M5 for about 1k under sticker but I dont think Ill be as lucky. Any help is appreciated as the dealer is claiming to hold the car for me today until 11am.

Also this car has the 19inch wheel setup- Every car I have owned since 1998- I have changed the wheels- how are the 19's. I know the tires are 225 and 255- can you just put on wider tires like 235 and 265's???

·
Registered
10,806 Posts
post pics of ur M5 and S4 P.. P.. P.. P.. P.. P.. PLEASE:D

and yes it is capable of being a daily driver, there are many members on this baord who do so:thumbup:

·
Registered
127 Posts
dude u already have 2 cars and u want another one??
:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
chanh said:
dude u already have 2 cars and u want another one??
:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
I was planning on trading in the S4 depending on what they give me for it.

·
yuppie racing
1,831 Posts
First off welcome to the board:thumbup:

You may be interested in looking at the march 2003 issue of "car and driver" as it has a long term test of the M3. They go on to describe both the positive and sadly many negative aspects of have the new BMW M3 as a daily driver over the past couple of years. interesting read:)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DropTopBM said:
Can we see some pics
I just got the M5 and believe it or not dont have a digital camera, here is a shot of my S4 when I had an E55.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DropTopBM said:
Holy crap what do you do for a living

More pics please
I actually work with car dealers as an independant lender but the one dealer I dont have is a BMW dealer. I could get a 350Z at cost but why??

·
wah wah wah
2,618 Posts
u can have the M3 as a daily driver:thumbup::thumbup:

One question why does the benz have a cec plate and the S4 have a Audi plate????:dunno:

Anyways SG looks awesome on the M3:pimpin::pimpin::pimpin:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mfspolo said:
u can have the M3 as a daily driver:thumbup::thumbup:

One question why does the benz have a cec plate and the S4 have a Audi plate????:dunno:

Anyways SG looks awesome on the M3:pimpin::pimpin::pimpin:
When I got the E55 I had a wild hair up my ass and decided to get a spoiler (dont hate me) CEC did the work and put the wheels on too. The Audi plate came with the car so I left it. Here is another shot of my old E55- I got rid of it for the M5- which just got a set of OZ Superleggera III's.

Attachments

·
I know all about that...
1,715 Posts
VicM5 said:

I could get a 350Z at cost but why??

LoL that's got to be one of the funniest things I've heard in awhile. You can't go wrong with a SMG M3, I drove a 02 M3 SMG Vert for a solid hour the other day and loved it. Obviously the power was new to me compared to my 323 but it was very civilized until you layed down the throttle. I do admit the SMG is no automatic though, it does take some getting used to. Good luck on your purchase and my favorite M3 combo is Steel grey with Imola Red interior. Here's a pic of Mon's car from our crew down here in Texas, just imagine the possibilities....:D

Attachments

·
I've got what plants crave.
1,360 Posts
VicM5 said:

I actually work with car dealers as an independant lender but the one dealer I dont have is a BMW dealer. I could get a 350Z at cost but why??
Would you mind elaborating on this a bit? Sounds interesting.

·
wah wah wah
2,618 Posts
VicM5 said:

When I got the E55 I had a wild hair up my ass and decided to get a spoiler (dont hate me) CEC did the work and put the wheels on too. The Audi plate came with the car so I left it. Here is another shot of my old E55- I got rid of it for the M5- which just got a set of OZ Superleggera III's.
i was just wondering:D :D :D

still looks good:thumbup:

Keep us posted on what you will get it:D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mc said:

Would you mind elaborating on this a bit? Sounds interesting.
My number one dealer that I do business with is a Nissan store so I get to see and drive the 350Z's at will. For the price its a great car but the interior is cheap and fit and finish is poor. I would much rather pay sticker for a car thats going to keep me smiling than a car that I am going to get rid of in a year. This of course is my situation and others who dont want to spend as much will definitely consider the Z as it is still a great car for the price.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nobody has any input on the cleaning of Steel Grey or if I can put on some wider rubber on those OEM 19's?? I have to go to the dealer in about 1 hour.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts