BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone....

I've not posted here before... but have a question. Somebody spray-painted my car! :ben: It's a gorgeous 2002 330ci.

They sprayed the side of the bumper, behind the passenger-side wheel. :banghead: The car is orient-blue metallic, and the spray paint looks white...

My question is--do I need a body shop? Or can this be fixed on my own? I'm wondering if there is something I can use to remove the paint from the clear-coat... (Even though I doubt it because it's been a few days already)

Any help would be appreciated! I'll try to post some pics asap...

Regards,
- DJ

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'd try to clay bar it. Worth a try at least.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Are you sure it's spray paint? If it is, you could try calling a detail guy, maybe Stu's claybar trick might work, otherwise, I think I'd go directly to the body shop... Should be covered by your insurance...

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Actually, giving the paint time to dry will help u remove it better. I don't think claying it would help. The spray paint is on top of the clearcoat so u will probably need to have it buffed out with a machine and rubbing compound to remove the paint and just a small amount of clearcoat. I would try the least abrasive compound first, then go more abrasive until u remove all of the paint. If you don't feel comfortable buffing it, then bring your ride to a professional detailer. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone!

I have not heard of clay bar before... but it looks like it is worth a shot. I'm pretty sure it is spray paint.

It actually didn't happen at home in CT. It happened in upstate NY, just outside of Binghamton.... I can't be sure, but I think it happened outside a movie theater we went to up there. :thumbdwn:

I honestly think buffing it out with the compound is going to have the best results... but I honestly think it may be worth letting a body shop/detailer do it... I am not sure I want to get into reapplying clearcoat, etc...

I am not sure however, if it'd cost a lot to have this done so I'd probably not utilize my insurance company unless it is going to cost more than my deductable.

Thanks to all for the replys! I'll keep u posted!

Regards,
- DJ

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,151 Posts
try these steps

wash your car with dawn dish water soapgo over that area really good that will strip all of the wax off your car

then clay your car but be careful to turn over the clay very 2 square ft or so. if you drop the clay on the floor throw it away.
just be careful not to rub to hard the clay on your car paint.

and remember to turn and work the clay often that will mix in the dirt that it picks up from the car body

that should do the trick i think if it does then put 2 coates of polish on your car right after you clay the car

but wash your car after you clay it and remember to keep the body wet with any car wash when you clay so the clay will slide over the paint.
bobm3 ;) ;)

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm not too sure about spray paint but often times a good detail shop will be able to get paint off your car. I got bumped by someone (no damage to my car) but there was paint from the other car on mine. The detail shop was able to buff it out/off.

·
1.888.JLEVISW
14,704 Posts
What is wrong with people? I mean sure if you rub it in their faces they'll get jealous and angry, but what kind of sicko just vandalizes a random car because it's something nicer than what they have? I think that's sick and demented.
I also think there should be laws passed that people have no rights while vandalizing a car.

Think about the electric fence that shocks you if you touch it. Your car's body is metal..
*My Fantasy... watching a hater fry as he tries to key someones car*

1 - 10 of 10 Posts