E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone replaced their old style master key with the new style one?

I have the older style key, which is the ugly black rubber looking one. I wanted to know if it's possible to buy the new style key, and have it work properly with my car? I really don't care if the buttons work on it, since I use a Viper alarm key fob to operate my door locks anyways. Just as long as it can turn on my car is all I care about.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gucki83 said:
If you dont care about the buttons, I'm sure the key itsself should work...
I've spoken with a BMW dealership parts guy, and he has no clue. I was hoping if I buy a blank one, and have it cut, then it should work right???

I wonder if there’s some passive security key ignition system that needs to be programmed as well, and maybe it won't be compatible?

·
Registered
219 Posts
SD 328I said:
I've spoken with a BMW dealership parts guy, and he has no clue. I was hoping if I buy a blank one, and have it cut, then it should work right???

I wonder if there’s some passive security key ignition system that needs to be programmed as well, and maybe it won't be compatible?

The key has a chip in it that stores a rolling security code. The key MUST programmed to work with your car. Cutting alone will not work. As far as I know, keys must be ordered through the dealer and come from Germany. Any one car is only allowed 10 keys total in it's lifetime. I just got a new master key and had to wait two weeks for it to arrive. It came from Germany, pre-programmed for my car. As long as the older cars with older keys use the same rolling code technology as the newer keys, you should be able to do this. But I'm pretty sure your dealer will only be able to order the right keys for your car anyways.

Edit: Oh and the rolling code does not just operate the remote part of the key... it signals the ECU in the car to allow the car to start.

·
Registered
219 Posts
sarah connor said:
my bmw shop has a theory that the keys are premade thats how when you order keys them back so fast and thats also why you can only order a max amount of keys. I dunno if its bs or not though.
The keys are not premade. The bag my key came in actually had cutting instructions on it. You are right about the max number of keys though.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sarah connor said:
oh my shop sucks then. You cant upgrade keys though i've tried.
Oh man, I really wanted the better looking key BAD!!!! Like the women at the San Diego BMW parts counter said to me when I asked her how I can get a newer style key, "get a newer car" she said, smart ass! :cry:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.