• DFW •
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lookin for pointerssssss maybe a p/n???

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I'm interested as well...

My temp gauge has been hanging out in the lower area and sometimes blue area after miles of driving. On really cold days it will shoot up to past red with no warning light right at start up and will stay there until i shut the car off and restart it which I've heard to be a thermostat problem too????? Anyone else hear of this?

Part Number is 11530139870 and the price is $35.

·
• DFW •
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yup same exact symptoms. I think we may have to do a search on roadfly.

Heard the actual p/n is about $52, and sits low in the engine, but Im not sure were. I just hope I dont have to do a complete coolant flush either. Let me know if you here somethin dude

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
vids_blk323Ci said:
yup same exact symptoms. I think we may have to do a search on roadfly.

Heard the actual p/n is about $52, and sits low in the engine, but Im not sure were. I just hope I dont have to do a complete coolant flush either. Let me know if you here somethin dude
Not sure about your location, but the theromstat and part number are as follows. I'll let you know when either one of the following happens.. I find a DIY or I CREATE a DIY.

Part Number is 11530139870 and the price is $35.

·
• DFW •
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dude do you have a picture of what the thermostat looks like? Also do you know where it sits in the car?

P/N I show is: 13 62 1 433 077

I also show 11 53 1 427 040

Both from a 2001 ETK. Where did u source the part number from dude? Thanks

·
• DFW •
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More info:

Attachments

·
• DFW •
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another one: Not sure where this fits in the situation??

Attachments

·
• DFW •
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Amir, so what was involved? Do any of the pictures above ring a bell? How much did it cost?

Im out of warranty so I need to do this DIY.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
vids_blk323Ci said:
Dude do you have a picture of what the thermostat looks like? Also do you know where it sits in the car?

P/N I show is: 13 62 1 433 077

I also show 11 53 1 427 040

Both from a 2001 ETK. Where did u source the part number from dude? Thanks
I think the part numbers are diferent from 99 to 00 and they may even be different due to 2dr vs 4 dr. The thermostat is located in picture 1 right where the LEFT line for Item 4 stops. The gasket, number 5, shows the outline of the thermostate (the round part). The second picture shows the bottom half of the cooling system. Nothing should need to be done. I'm doing my thermostat tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes.

BTW, I sourced the part number from the dealer.

·
Registered
304 Posts
cheap???
I ve had mine changed a month ago at the dealer and it cost me about 135 euro,pieces and labour

·
• DFW •
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bigjohn, good luck and do report back on how it went. Pics would be nice too :D

·
• DFW •
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
anyone know what the fault code would be for a faulty thermostat??

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
vids_blk323Ci said:
anyone know what the fault code would be for a faulty thermostat??
Hey, I'm in the middle of the thermostat replacement now and it's easy as pie. Unfortunitely they sold me the e36 thermostat so I have a trip to the dealer to make. I'll let you know the details as soon as I get back and finished.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Okay, I have completed the DIY for the thermostat replacement. It took me about 1.5 hours of time excluding a trip back the dealer after they gave me an e36 model thermostat. The job was SOOOOO easy. I didn't do a DIY with photos and stuff but if anyone is interested I can give pretty much step by step instructions. As far as what the thermostat looks like, it is a one piece set that includes the thermostat mounted in the housing. The part was $32 at the dealer and was very straight forward. If you look at the following picture, the housing (number 4) is the complete system. Good luck all!

Attachments

·
• DFW •
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Damn........ BMW AG didnt pick up the cost of this replacement. Turns out the problem was the thermostat as we supsected.

Part Numbers on my invoice were:

11 53 1 437 040 @ 41.6€ <---- as shown in the pics I posted above
81 22 9 407 755 @ 1.04€ <---- no clue what the hell this was

Labor was 66€ for 12 units? not sure how they broke this out...

Oh well at least it was fixed!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did my thermostat today and the one BMW gave me was a re engineer of the one I pulled out of the engine. After looking at it, it was obvious the original's plastic mounts were too weak to support the actual thermostat. In my opinion the 1999 E46 thermostat should have been recalled. But at least they fixed it in later versions.
Otherwise doing this job only takes about an hour. Even though I'm ticked about the poor quality thermostat, they did an unbeleivable job engineering the engine for easy access.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts