BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
it does work but u have to patient with it... i think i wipe off the goof off too fast so it was kind of hard to pull the sticker off but i am sure if u let it rest longer before u wipe it off it will be really easy

·
St. Louis BMW Fanatic
7,162 Posts
I did it. It's very easy...just take your time...and use a soft eraser to rub out any remaining residue when you're done. :D

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
showboat or onMDMA..so how long did you wait before you started to peel it off. I basically waited a long time...to a point where the fumes from goof off made me sick...

Did you guys just kept applying more and more goof off constantly.

Thanks.

·
Addicted to Autocross
1,341 Posts
Its Easy...

It doesn't take long. Apply the Goof-Off with cotton, and in a few minutes the sticker starts to fizzle at which time I took my Swiss Army Knife and slowly and carefully peeled it right off. Then I applied Vinyl Conditioner and voila!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
vinny and shinobi..thanks for the info..i guess i will give it a try...

Shinobi..just checked out your website...nice ride...love the mods you did. However, I notice that you have a pic for a first aid kit for the passenger side. Did you buy that yourself, because only european cars has that or is your a euro clear. If you did buy it, where and how much...

Thanks.

·
Addicted to Autocross
1,341 Posts
First Aid Kit Info

You can't get it here. I got it through someone who knows someone in Canada. The part was $50-60, I think. I actually have one on each side. The driver side is for storage and the passenger side has the first aid kit. I installed it myself. I may have the part number somewhere, but I don't have it right now.

·
Registered
45 Posts
OnMDMA said:
i did it too. but then you still see a square where the sticker used to be... or did i do it wrong??:dunno:
mines has a square too :sad: so i just did one side and put one of those cd holder things over it, maybe i did something wrong :dunno:

·
Registered
703 Posts
phamman said:
Has anyone tried this yet. If so, did it work for you as smoothly as the DIY describe it to be.

Thanks for your thoughts.

http://www.bmw330ci.com/DIY_Visors.htm
That was my very first mod!!!!

I had forgotten all about it. Its very easy to do and does look nice. I will say this. There will be a bighter area where the sticker was, but not noticable enough not to do it. Believe it or not I dont have any pics) I have pics of everything), but I will take some.

Just follow those directions a you'll be fine. Its surprising how the sticker just bubbles up and comes off. I never would have thought of that myself. Bmw330ci.com has some very good DIY descriptions. I have used them many times..

Good luck, keep us posted:thumbup:

John V

·
Registered
703 Posts
Re: First Aid Kit Info

Shinobi said:
You can't get it here.
Wrong.

I walked into my local dealer without part numbers and ordered them. i went with the box and brackets without the first aid kit itself.

I had the parts in 2 days.

Part numbers are
Bracket 52 10 7 045 018
Box 52 10 7 044 958

These are part numbers for the box and bracket only... there are completely different numbers for the whole kit. I bought them for $17 box and bracket, with my BMWCCA 15% discount.

I did have to search out self tapping screws to make it work though, as they wernt included and the M6 screws the dealer gave me were to small.

More pics here
http://www.northsyde.com/john/galleries/firstaid/firstaid.htm

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
johnv325ci....thanks for giving me more information regarding the first aid kit. Will definitely order the kit. Btw, how did you get a 15% discount. And also awesome website. Like some of the mods you did, especially placing a relay switch in the ashtray. I was lazy and just placed my switch under the steering wheel for my DAE's.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Great info! One question though: DOes it matter that I have power seats? It seems like installing the kit there would some how limit the movement of the seats. Or am I just crazy?

·
Registered
688 Posts
phamman, I just did this mod today, and I didn't have the best time with it, but that's probably because I couldn't find Goo-Off, so I used 3M Adhesive Remover and bug/tar remover.

Whatever solvent you use, make it easier on yourself, and remove the visors so you a) don't have to be constantly working over your head and b) have the risk of getting Goo-Off and sticker scrapings all over your car's interior.

To take off the visors, unscrew the two screws at the A-pillars, then disconnect the switch harness, and voila, your visors are mobile.

After I did it, the vinyl where the sticker was "drooped" -- maybe this was because I didn't use Goo-Off (i.e., the adhesive remover "loosened" the vinyl). If this happens to you, you can use a hair dryer to warm up the vinyl and it will "tighten back up."

And definitely wipe/rinse all solvent off when your done and don't forget vinyl conditioner afterwards as those solvents are nasty stuff...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
johnhab...yeah i thought about taking off the visor. It would be so much easier, but my question is how long did it take before it started to bubble up. Also, did you just keep apply the adhesive remover over the sticker.

Thanks.

Eric

·
Registered
688 Posts
Yes, I applied the adhesive remove on over the sticker, and it didn't "wrinkle" up like it did for the guy that used the Goo-Off. Neither did the bug/tar remover.

That being the case, alot of rubbing/light scraping was involved, and doing that overhead was impossible. So, if you use Goo-Off, it might be fast enough so that you might not have to take the visors off, but as I said previously, it's still a good idea so that Goo-Off and/or the sticker pieces don't get all over your interior.

It seriously takes 1 min./side to take them off. And with them off, it's also easier to apply a nice coat of vinyl protectant...

·
Registered
105 Posts
I used Goof-Off to remove the sticker, then used lacquer thinner to remove the remaining residue. However, I've heard from a reliable source that lacquer thinner will work just as well as Goof-Off for removing both the sticker and residue.

As to the first-aid boxes, I installed them under both seats, as well. The correct screw size is, indeed, M6x12, but they are very hard to get started if they're not self-tapping.

And since self-tapping M6x12 screws are exceptionally difficult to find in the US, a relatively cheap 6mm tap and handle ($6 @ Sears) will take care of the problem. So if someone wants to do it absolutely correctly, it's not that hard. Otherwise, an SAE self-tapping screw in a size close to 6mm (1/4"?) will work, too.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I did it using the how to described on the link using the goof off.. it 'crazed up' just as described & was easy to use. No need to remove visor..that would be a LOT of unneeded hassle, trust me.

Worked REALLY easy.. very simple to do. less than 10 mins for both.. no problems in doing it at all, BUT be sure to not leave the rag soaking on it too long, as it CAN soften up the visor below the vinyl of the visor itself.. I did notice that in one small spot.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
45 Posts
p0tpie said:
hey will googone work?
goo gone will NOT work, i tried for like an hour before i just decided to go to walmart and get a can of goof off, took like 3 minutes, ugh :tsk: but there's still that discolored square where it used to be, can't get that crap off :banghead: :banghead:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts