BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a Sony AX5500 from Enfig and I want to get a good backup camera for it. These eRapta are getting good reviews on Amazon and cnet. But when I did a search on this board, I only got one hit without much content.

The ERT11 gets good feedback for its 720p image quality although it looks pretty bulky. It also doesn't look like their superimposed guidelines bend as you turn the steering wheel. But maybe that is for oem systems only...

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
11,102 Posts
I would upgrade to a full HD camera. Also, the head unit must get steering angle data to show the lines in the screen.

·
Registered
2004 325iT, 2005 M3
49 Posts
I had an eRapta in another car...

-The quality was fine, especially for the price. They're not amazing but they're watertight and hard to beat at the price point. I especially like that they have a connector at the camera-end of the wiring harness. If you have a camera problem, you're not pulling the interior apart and re-running the main wire.

-I did have problems with the first one they sent me. It was all washed out and pink, but they replaced it in 2 days no questions asked. Again with the wiring connector at the camera end it's a 5 minute swap.

-The lines are static and do not turn.

They do have multiple cameras - they have one that's much less bulky and mounts mostly behind the license plate, with only the camera on a stalk visible. That one was particularly nice for the price.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the feedback.

After trying to figure out how that would look on the back of my car, I decided I could not stomach ruining the clean lines of the Touring. So I looked for one of those that are designed to fit in the license plate light. I ended up with this one from Amazon:

"HD 1280x720p Reversing Camera Rear View Backup Camera Waterproof Night Vision for Tucson Accent Elantra Terracan Veracruz 300/300C/ SRT8 /Magnum/Sebring"

Based on the dimensions on that web page, the housing is too wide to fit in the e46 location. So i will have to chop it up and somehow make it fit in there. There are very few reviews and it is expensive by comparison to most ($65) so it's a bit of a leap of faith. But, at the end of the day, it will be as discreet as possible and I only need this camera to make sure I don't back in to things, not to take pictures for National Geographic.

·
Registered
2004 325iT, 2005 M3
49 Posts
Thank you for the feedback.

After trying to figure out how that would look on the back of my car, I decided I could not stomach ruining the clean lines of the Touring. So I looked for one of those that are designed to fit in the license plate light. I ended up with this one from Amazon:

"HD 1280x720p Reversing Camera Rear View Backup Camera Waterproof Night Vision for Tucson Accent Elantra Terracan Veracruz 300/300C/ SRT8 /Magnum/Sebring"

Based on the dimensions on that web page, the housing is too wide to fit in the e46 location. So i will have to chop it up and somehow make it fit in there. There are very few reviews and it is expensive by comparison to most ($65) so it's a bit of a leap of faith. But, at the end of the day, it will be as discreet as possible and I only need this camera to make sure I don't back in to things, not to take pictures for National Geographic.

I can't speak to that one... I went with this one: https://www.amazon.com/eRapta-Gener...dchild=1&keywords=ERT02&qid=1614107228&sr=8-1

And was happy with it. It was a little annoying because you'd move it every time you washed the car and you'd have to put it back, but the camera was really small and hard to see.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked at that one as well But it seemed pretty obtrusive. Do you have any pics on your car?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts