BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a cheap one that works?
Few years ago, when my front window crunched, I tried a $30 Ebay PrimeChoice, but it died within a year, and I replaced with OEM.
Is there a decent one out there today?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I’ve had good success using a used genuine regulator. Pulled it off a car that looks like it had done 250k miles and I’ve had no issues with it after a few months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
I used a $30 off amazon on my e90. Roughly 18months in and no issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
221 Posts
Had a mechanic install "upgraded" one I got from ECS last year, and it busted a month ago.

Now some have said it can also be the motor or the little clips. This time I ordered some clips just in case as well....

No way these new installs from a legit place should only last one year.

We'll see what happens after this replacement gets installed.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No chance in hell I am buying a used regulator.
Which Amazon regulator did you get?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Try Autohausaz,they have the continental regulators for less than 50, haven't used these but with the 3 yrs warranty it's a bargain. Trying to find what that Ebay brand I used but ebay only lists past purchase from 2018. Obviously it's been that long that they lasted,,,haven't purchased any .But I always keep my windows closed and clean.Never found the need to open them,,,,lol

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since I wanted to fix this today, I paid $75 for a Dorman regulator.
Has a lifetime warranty, so that's worth something, and wait time was 15 minutes, not 3-5 days.
I will update this thread at some point

·
Registered
73 Posts
The window regulator motor has 4 Torx screws that can be removed, and clean up the internal. I repaired an original Bosch motor which its carbon brush was stuck due to carbon dust. It has 3 parts that you can swap out with other cheap brand's part, while maintain the original Bosch.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Used a cheaper one from Amazon on my passenger front a month or so ago. I don't drive every day, but no issues so far. Just made sure to lube the window as best I could with some silicone spray.

I've had an Amazon one in my driver's rear for almost a year at this point, probably and have had no issues.

Driver's door (front left) has been zip tie'd on the original but I'm just waiting for it to go, and I'll probably just throw an amazon one in there as well.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I actually tried to pull the listing for you but FleaBay doesn’t keep all the details from two years ago. But I think it was new or like new— The title didn’t say “used” and I recall it looked new. The motor definitely was new because I had to open it up to retrofit the connector to my car.

What happens sometimes is you buy something new and it doesn’t fit right ... guess what, it isn’t Amazon so FleaBay sides with the seller because that’s its biz model... So, the buyer has to flip the thing at a loss, likely on FleaBay. Happened to me a few times, including with e46 interior trim I had shipped from Europe. So, I guess I got lucky and bought a flipped new item.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts