BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear window trim has shrunk, and it pops up on one side:

I have a replacement sitting in my garage. I don't want to pull the current one out unless I'm able to pop the new one in without having to remove the rear glass—something I would have an auto glass shop do anyway.

Has anyone been able to work a new seal around the glass, or does it have to come out? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I saw a youtube video a while back watching a guy do it without removing the window.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
4,169 Posts
We haven't tried a rear trim on a E46 just yet. We've done several fronts on E46 & E9X. Also rear top on E9X. I suspect it can be done, would need to look at the profile of the new part first.

Caveat: The glass for any windshield molding must NOT have been replaced. When the factory robot applies a bead of windshield urethane to the glass, it does so with just the right amount and there's no spooging of the sealant squeezing out of the sides. Even the best windshield installers can't avoid this. Such will have sealant squeezed out of the side, making removal/installation near impossible.

When we do these (takes some time and OCD is a GOOD thing) we remove the molding. Then carefully use various picks, plastic tools and plastic razor blades. Get ALL of the very small dried up bits out. Vacuum and clean. Then take a microfiber stuffed into the void channel and clean some more. Inspect methodically.

Take the new molding and measure across the top. Find the EXACT center. Apply painters tape and mark the center. Then do the same on the body finding exact center. Lubricate the molding and the channel with spray silicone. There are two types of spray silicone, get the "wet" version. Use copiously and press in the molding. You will feel when the lower edge rolls in. Work your way around, first the top, then the curves (will be difficult) and finally down the sides without stretching the molding.

Your fingertips and thumbs will be sore when done. But you'll be satisfied.

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. All good stuff. I found an E90 video similar to the above. My rear glass is original as far as I know, and the molding isn't dried/cracked, just shrunk and popping up.

Good tips about matching the centers and lubing the molding pre-installation. Will give it a shot and report back.

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
3,782 Posts
As far as I know my windshield is original and I did have to deal with sealant spooging on the molding. Getting it off for my paint project was a huge PITA!
Really looking forward to getting that finished up so that I can put new glass in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts