BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
May the farts be with you, always
6,729 Posts
i heard of the sports muffler without the solenoid that controls the exhaust valve.. but a sport silencer? we have too many silencers on our cars as it is.. if there is one,hopefully its design to make the sound louder

·
May the farts be with you, always
6,729 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that's just a generic picture. notice the plug and tie strap? that's to cap off the vacuum line and tie it back because the sports silencer doesn't have the valve. in fact the tips are different, more like an M3 style tip. someone once posted pics here and on bimmerfest but I can't dig them up with a search.

·
booo for body roll.
3,435 Posts
yeah somebody posted along time ago about a sport muffler offered from bmw. i think it was around 1000 bucks.. i'd say just go with an aftermarket exhaust..

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
that's not correct. I checked a price at PacificBMW when I first discovered the muffler. it was about $400, making it the LEAST expensive optional muffler. but considering that the stock 330 and probably 325 muffler are already a straight through design, that's still expensive.

by the way, the sports silencer is painted gray.

·
yuppie racing
1,927 Posts
actually do what you want,

I just think that the "BMW sport silencer" looks butt ugly. the truth is that exhausts really only offer minimal gains. its more for looks and sound. I have no clue what it sounds like but im sure it isnt that much different than the stock and definitly not worth the 400 dollars or 1000 dollars that it is. If you are worried about the warranty than look into something like the DINAN exhaust.

·
Registered
105 Posts
bmwti said:
the truth is that exhausts really only offer minimal gains. its more for looks and sound.
I think the performance gains in this department are dependent upon the type of engine and style of driving. As I understand it, a freer-flowing-than-stock exhaust will improve higher end horsepower while sacrificing some lower end torque. With domestic, pushrod V8 engines that have gobs of low end torque and peak horsepower at a relatively low point in the rev band, this is an ideal situation.

However, with torque-challenged OHC engines (all imports), unless the driver plans on spending a majority of his time in the upper end of the rpm band, a freer-flowing exhaust is actually a detriment in normal, daily driving situations.

IOW, if you own a Z28, go for it. But for an import, unless you're going to be spending a lot of time at the track, the only benefits of a free-flowing exhaust are exactly as stated: looks and sound.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bmwti said:
actually do what you want,

I just think that the "BMW sport silencer" looks butt ugly. the truth is that exhausts really only offer minimal gains. its more for looks and sound. I have no clue what it sounds like but im sure it isnt that much different than the stock and definitly not worth the 400 dollars or 1000 dollars that it is. If you are worried about the warranty than look into something like the DINAN exhaust.
thank you for your advice.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
bmwti said:
If you are worried about the warranty than look into something like the DINAN exhaust.
Hee... Did you know 31st330i's user name used to be "1stDinan3"? ;) His car was the development car. His website also has an excellent review of the Dinan 3 package. :thumbup:

·
yuppie racing
1,927 Posts
Jspeed said:

Hee... Did you know 31st330i's user name used to be "1stDinan3"? ;) His car was the development car. His website also has an excellent review of the Dinan 3 package. :thumbup:
no, I did not know that, and the review of the dinan 3 package was interesting and well written:)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Yes, BMW offers a sport rear silencer with 2x76mm tips!

The sport real silencer cost about $ 600 but the sound is not much louder than a stock 330i!

Here's a pic of the BMW sport exhaust with 2x76mm:

It looks like the eisenmann exhausts... but the BMW sport rear silencer were produced by "Eberspächer" ( German company which made nearly all stock BMW exhausts )

Gruß Daniel

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
db-330Ci said:
Yes, BMW offers a sport rear silencer with 2x76mm tips!

The sport real silencer cost about $ 600 but the sound is not much louder than a stock 330i!

Here's a pic of the BMW sport exhaust with 2x76mm:

It looks like the eisenmann exhausts... but the BMW sport rear silencer were produced by "Eberspächer" ( German company which made nearly all stock BMW exhausts )

Gruß Daniel
thanks for sharing. do you have any idea if the perforated core tubes running through the muffler are any larger than stock? aside from the valve, the stock muffler is already straight through so unless these were also made larger then there would be very little performance gain if any - like with the aftermarket offerings. did you notice any sort of a performance gain? personally, I think it looks nice.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts