BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be shipping both of these items soon, and was wondering what you guys recommend doing for the engine and cylinder head. The engine (complete block) is around 300 lbs, so obviously UPS and Fedex are out of the question.....Price matters, but only to a certain extent. Ultiamtely I want the items to arrive at their destination uscathed....

The cylinder head isn't too heavy, maybe 40 lbs tops....so I'm thinking I could fedex, but I'm not sure how to box it.......

I don't think I would send it UPS, due to the fact that they are notorious for destroying items in transit.....

If anyone could help me out, I'd much appreciate it :)

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Put the engine on a small engine stand an box it up. This way, you don't have to worry about the bottom of it getting kicked around. take off anything that doesn't need to be on there, oil pan, oil pump, accesories....

As for the cylinder head, wrap it in a heavy duty plastic bag. buy a whole bunch of cheap towels from target and heavily line a box with them. There should be at least 5 inches of towel on every side of the heads, compressed.

Chip-

·
Registered
10 Posts
A few option

In regards to shipping a block, I've had good experiences with UPS unlike quite a few others. Back in my dealings with small turbo hondas, I followed this same method numerous times shipping blocks to and from CA to TN.

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?&id=283538&postid=2735103#2735103

If you have to ship the block via a freight service check with the gentleman at www.shipinc.com I have shipped quite a few large pieces (rollcage, half clip of a japanese car etc) with him. Lowest prices (automatically checks like 10 places) guaranteed. Use the LTL service or whatever, its just for people that have less than a full truck load of goods.

Thats all for now, back to pondering the 330ci vs 323ci debate.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Can you give us some details on what happened to your engine?

On one post you said your valves were bent? Didn't you have cams put in? Was that the cause?

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
vanos gear came off.....didn't haev the proper tool to transfer the vanos gears from cam to cam..

·
Registered
290 Posts
Amir, I work for UPS, just put the cyclinder head in a small box made of ply wood and screw it shut. Shouldnt have any problems with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts