E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
'a certain moderator'
34,496 Posts
i have seen cars wit differences as great as 21 rear, 19 front, on a Merc, and stock C5 vettes came with 18 rear and 17 front, so i imagine u could do it without a problem.

-brendan

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
who do that? why not get the same size wheel like get a 19x8.5 in the front and a 19x9.5 in the rear....are you drag racing or something?

·
name's PHIL
5,946 Posts
wide body kit........shouldnt the 23's be in the back and 22's in the front:dunno:

·
Registered
543 Posts
a sick one

·
Registered
915 Posts
how to ruin handling on your M3

First of all ask yourself WHY do I want to alter the handling, responsiveness and braking capability of the car by adding that much unsprung weight and rotational mass by shoehorning a 20" wheel onto the car?

Too much thought is given to how much wheel you can cram in there without thinking about how that affects handling (and it never does anything to HELP that handling of the car). If you have an M3 you should really give serious thought to that FIRST.

That said, there is no benefit to using a 19/20" setup, and it can affect the steering dynamics as well. :thumbdwn:

·
Registered
950 Posts
Re: how to ruin handling on your M3

That said, there is no benefit to using a 19/20" setup, and it can affect the steering dynamics as well. :thumbdwn:
Going with larger diameter wheels altogether pretty much ruins the physics of the design and function of the suspension on almost any car. The M3 was engineered to accomodate wheels of 18-19" in diameter. Stepping up to a 20"+ wheel will certainly throw off dynamics, up to and including steering, as well as all suspension characteristics.

However, a staggered setup as mentioned will NOT affect steering dynamics. We are talking about using the same diameter wheels on each axle. Just wanted to clarify that. Also, there IS a benefit to staggering tire setups front to rear, in tire size. I assume you know that every wheel size has limited tire sizes available. This benefit more applies to the novice racer, instead of the average show and shine guru. In the case of a show-n-shine vehicle, there is no benefit.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Larger diamater rear is retarded on a rear wheel car btw fyi.

dont be retarded ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts