BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
not a bad price either. But it all depends on how good the software actually is.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Before buying any OBDII reader, please note that this is different than BMW's factory diagnostic system. Have a look at the article in my signature titled "Peake Tool Crash Course." BMW fault codes are a completely different protocol/language than generic OBDII.

Best of luck!

Ken

·
Registered
337 Posts
There's also an app called "Torque" that utilizes a bluetooth enabled OBDII interface. Though I take these as more of a novelty than something I'd want to diagnose codes with.

Sent from my DROID2 using BimmerApp

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
What's the point? It reads generic OBDII data (like any other scanner) and gives you data you can easily read through the OBC.
Might as well get the real BMW code reader from Peake.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
^+1

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you're going to settle with generic OBDII data then why spend the money for your own tool, why not just take your car to Autozone, O'Reilly, Advance Auto, NAPA, etc. and they'll read your codes for free.

If I were going to buy a code reader for my BMW I would get the Peake reader since it reads the more relevant BMW codes, otherwise I'd stick with the free service from your local auto parts store.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
hmm. it looks very cool. I was unaware an un-jailbroken iphone could accept any type of data transfer through the bottom port.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The app that I mentioned is for the Droid. Search OBD2 in the app Marketplace.

Sent from my DROID2 using BimmerApp

·
Registered
150 Posts
I would stay with obdII with usb and Bmw software, peak tool sucks really bad
Any particular reason for your dissatisfaction with our product?

·
Registered
823 Posts
I would stay with obdII with usb and Bmw software, peak tool sucks really bad
Great concrete detail..

It is small, fits in your glovebox, reads/clears bmw specific codes, and resets your service indicator, ... what more do you want it to do lol.. like magically turn into a person and fix your car?

Honestly it is to the point where i have almost become wary of reading the PXXXX codes from generic readers as they are often really misleading actually. i remember a guy recently coming up with a code referring to a turbocharger.... obv. not e46 specific! rofl

1 - 17 of 17 Posts