BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently read the buying guide in the total bmw mag and it pointed out that early E46 4 cyl cars need software upgrade to correct harsh downshifting from 3rd to 2nd on an auto box. My car is a 6 cyl and it's only 1.5 months old (Nov 2002)...yet suffer the same problem harsh downshifting from 3rd to 2nd...do I also need software upgrade? It soulds a bit ridiculous....

Cheers
:yikes:

·
Banned
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not sure..but the dealer is going to take a look at my car next week..so fingers crossed...anyone else got the same problem?:dunno:

·
Banned
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nics said:
what do you mean by 'harsh downshifting' ?
like a drastic shake or big nudge...imagine driving a manual car and downshift from a higher gear to lower gear at high speed...then you get that kind of feeling...only happens during 3rd to 2nd downshift or 2nd to 1st gears thogh...I never had such problem with my older E36....anyway I am taking my car to dealer on monday and will keep you posted!

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
4,301 Posts
You shouldn't feel anything when you shift a stick from lets say 3rd gear at 45 mph to 2nd gear well atleast in my car you won't, youll hear a nice rev thats all thouhg :thumbup:

·
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"
6,607 Posts
IMO thats normal because the gear spacing between 2nd and 3rd. so when u down shift, the tranny has to match RPMs with the engine, that "nudge" u experience is the sudden momentum u feel when the tranny matches speed with the engine. or the sudden transfer of power from the engine to the tranny.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
You can blip match your tranny with the engine RPMs to ease the transition. However, I have not experienced this problem in my car.

·
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"
6,607 Posts
rev matching ur dwnshifts and decrease or even eliminate the "nudge" . try it out.

·
Banned
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmm...tanks for all your info but I think it is getting worse...it is kida feel like big clank.....defintely takeing it to the dealer...I cannot rev the engine when downshift this only happens when I press the brake and the car is slowly coming to a halt...like approaching a traffic light or a speed bump

1 - 11 of 11 Posts