BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 wagon with HK and cannot tell that engaging the HK system (the small loudspeaker on the button) actually does anything positive. Does anyone know exactly what the HK circuitry is supposed to do? My ears tell me that it is scrambling the phase but the Bentley manual seems to imply that the rear "subwoofer/s" are not operating without it.

Rich

·
Registered
912 Posts
It always makes me chuckle that there's a button there at all. Maybe in the owner's manual it says, "If inferior sound quality is desired, simply do not press the loudspeaker button thingie."

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Absolutely nothing! The HK system in these E46 is gotta be one of the worst HK system ever! The sub in the rear is useless and the tweeters up front barely is audible while the rest are pathetic!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Absolutely nothing! The HK system in these E46 is gotta be one of the worst HK system ever! The sub in the rear is useless and the tweeters up front barely is audible while the rest are pathetic!
I think it depends on the car, my dad's vert has H/K and it's worse than my sedan. IIRC they were set up differently.

·
Registered
243 Posts
It's an effect. It's similar to the artificial, directional sound tech used in headphones. It just makes the sound feel like it's "next to you." Try it.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Well when I push the button the sound changes dramatically. Sounds better when illuminated. :dunno:

I tend to think the HK sounds just OK. Seems to lack detail. And it seems that turning it up only emphasizes the midrange and drowns the others out. I'm just glad it still works.

My cousin had an '89 Grand Am with an AC Delco that rocked. It's a crazy world.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
it varies from car to car, some car will be better than others

my HK is amazing! it's night and day when engaged compare to my brothers car which doesnt make a difference.

it may varies on how loud and abusive you used it

·
Registered
13,988 Posts
I gotta recommend the setup I did. I just put in a Basslink in the back corner of the trunk and put in BSW tweeters/midrange in the doors. It balanced the system out a lot. Otherwise the HK system is quite weak. Check your speakers. My midrange doors speakers were blown.

·
Registered
844 Posts
The HK system isn't the greatest compared to what other car companies offer, but it's decent enough for me. I had a huge difference when pressing the button. Why anyone would turn it off is beyond me

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
738 Posts
Something may not be set up correctly in yours. Mine sounds amazing and it's a 2001. Sounds better than some of the stereos in newer cars (Not newer BMWs, Bang and Oluffsen is pretty good). Given the miles mine has on it, the front right tweeter (driver's side mirror speaker) can't handle too much bass, without buzzing noise, so I have the bass set almost all the way in the back and the sound is crystal clear and quite amazing. It leads me to believe that you must have speaker problems or maybe don't have the power output needed or maybe even some of the speakers have been replaced. I'm not exactly sure, but I don't see how anyone could complain about a correctly functioning HK system.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I gotta recommend the setup I did. I just put in a Basslink in the back corner of the trunk and put in BSW tweeters/midrange in the doors. It balanced the system out a lot. Otherwise the HK system is quite weak. Check your speakers. My midrange doors speakers were blown.
Do you think BSW is worth the price? From what I read the quality isn't the best bang for buck, but the fact that its so DIY friendly makes up for it

·
Registered
13,988 Posts
BTW, originality is not outlawed because we hated your huge sig. Making everyone scroll 10 miles for every thread you post in is annoying.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
The HK system isn't the greatest compared to what other car companies offer,
Ever tried Kia? Not sure how they are now, but in 2005, stereophonics was not their strong suit.

·
Registered
13,988 Posts
Do you think BSW is worth the price? From what I read the quality isn't the best bang for buck, but the fact that its so DIY friendly makes up for it
I paid less than what new "Genuine BMW" speakers would have cost me and they were superior, so yes, it's worth the price.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts