E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Started noticing this on my M3 (not sure if it's been there all along though as I've only had the car for a few months).

It's pretty difficult to shift the car into first. I really have to use quite a bit of force, and sometimes if I don't push hard enough on the gear stick, it gets "caught" in a middle point between neutral and first where the car is not in gear. This especially happens when the car is moving (in traffic), I'm going really slow and need to downshift from third or second (not an aggressive downshift, but just if I'm taking a sharp turn at a light or am slowing down from a higher gear to a pretty low speed). It still does happen sometimes from a stop though.

Not sure if this is relevant, but there is a quite a bit of play in my gear stick. Car's got 110k miles...Also I don't have trouble shifting into other gears, it's just first. Also my clutch pedal has a bit of side to side play.

Appreciate any help! Thanks

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
If its across all gears the clutch is probably dragging too much when it should be disengaged. Could be mechanical, could be hydraulic. Could even be that your left leg isn't long enough.
Even on a very slight gradient my car will roll back in gear with the clutch disengaged. How about yours?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If its across all gears the clutch is probably dragging too much when it should be disengaged. Could be mechanical, could be hydraulic. Could even be that your left leg isn't long enough.
Even on a very slight gradient my car will roll back in gear with the clutch disengaged. How about yours?
It's definitely not all the gears. I've also tried moving closer to the pedals (to assure that I fully disengage the clutch), and that doesn't change anything. Isn't it supposed to roll back in gear with clutch disengaged...? Mine does the same. Clutch disengaged is like neutral so car will roll.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Hey everyone,

Not sure if this is relevant, but there is a quite a bit of play in my gear stick. Car's got 110k miles...Also I don't have trouble shifting into other gears, it's just first. Also my clutch pedal has a bit of side to side play.
If you've got play in your shifter, you probably need (at least) a shifter rebuild kit.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Ok if it rolls back easily it seems the clutch disengages. Presumably your problem is in the gearbox or linkage. Change the fluid because its easy to do then as it doesn't sound like linkages look into the detent springs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts