BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
2,209 Posts
Try to find some reference point (a point on your car that aligns with the other cars around you) that you can repeat every time, like in the video linked below.
I have my own reference points but the ones below are a good start.

Interesting video ... that's a lot of different reference points though.

The way I learned it was to line up the front wheels of both cars to start (or the rear wheels if mine or the other car is very long) with the steering wheel straight, then start rolling backwards while also turning wheel to the right at same time. When my front wheels line up with the other car's rear wheels then I start turning steering wheel to the left while I keep moving. Modulate speed and turn rate as needed. Then straighten out once I'm in.

I don't use the drivers side mirror at all, mostly just look over my shoulder and at car in front.

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
2,209 Posts
Well I am in NZ not the USA and can manage quite OK with reversing mirror and drivers mirror so why do you need it for normal driving.
If there is more than one lane in your direction of travel, then passenger side mirror is quite useful if properly aligned to cover your blind spot. Useful for keeping an eye on traffic behind you. It's an extra angle of view ...

·
Registered
11 Posts
why do you need it for normal driving.
I use it to see who's on the right lane before I move onto it, on a multi-lane highway. I guess you can also turn your head, but it will take a full second of attention away from the road ahead.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The way I learned it was to line up the front wheels of both cars to start (or the rear wheels if mine or the other car is very long) with the steering wheel straight, then start rolling backwards while also turning wheel to the right at same time. When my front wheels line up with the other car's rear wheels then I start turning steering wheel to the left while I keep moving. Modulate speed and turn rate as needed. Then straighten out once I'm in.
I don't use the drivers side mirror at all, mostly just look over my shoulder and at car in front.
That's exactly how I do it, I guess our fathers knew each other, LOL.

This system never fails once and it's faster than the 3-phase approach in the video, but it takes a bit more awareness about the size of your car and the position of the rear/front wheels of both cars, which are not as visible as the reference marks used in the video. Not to mention that you need a good amount of practice to learn how to modulate the traveling and the turning speeds: you can end up totally wrong if you're moving too fast or too slow with one of the two.

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
2,209 Posts
Lol ... yeah, spatial awareness is key, but once you get the timing of it right, it works well. Ideally its one fluid motion.

Left mirror, right mirror, rear small window, front car tail light, rear car headlight ... that's just too technical.

When I see people stop in the middle to look around everywhere before turning the front end in, it usually takes them a while to start moving again and often times they still don't get it right.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts