BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i have a hard time to parallel park or parking in general with my E46

I have a euro E46 with the split mirrors idk what the split line thing is, i don’t have the powered seats so i don’t think i have the tilt mirror option maybe i can activate that option idk? I find the mirrors to be a bit small or something i can’t see the the street curb when i try to park really annoying

Does anyone have this problem or a trick/advice or something so can park?

Thinking of buying those small mirror you stick into your mirror but idk if they are worth it good and such

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can't you just uhh, move your head to see the curb? I don't ever look anyway, use reference points to judge distances... you don't get out of your car to see if you pulled forward enough in a parking spot do you?
Parking in general is so easy in these tiny cars. Have you driven a modern boat? You can't see a thing!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't you just uhh, move your head to see the curb? I don't ever look anyway, use reference points to judge distances... you don't get out of your car to see if you pulled forward enough in a parking spot do you?
Parking in general is so easy in these tiny cars. Have you driven a modern boat? You can't see a thing!
Yeah that’s what i’m doing now look for references points and such but i always i bit far away from the curb. In some situations i would block the street if i leave it like that i need to be closer to the curb so something is really annoying especially when someone is behind me in a one way street and i have trouble parking right away because i can’t see the curb.

I use to drive with a smaller city car, was easier to park since i could see the curb and such with the mirrors. But on the E46 the mirrors are smaller and i completely don’t see the curb

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah that’s what i’m doing now look for references points and such but i always i bit far away from the curb. In some situations i would block the street if i leave it like that i need to be closer to the curb so something is really annoying especially when someone is behind me in a one way street and i have trouble parking right away because i can’t see the curb.

I use to drive with a smaller city car, was easier to park since i could see the curb and such with the mirrors. But on the E46 the mirrors are smaller and i completely don’t see the curb
Got a spot you can practice? Do you care about your rims?
You could bump the rear tire against the curb, find your reference point, then re-park slightly further away. Parallel parking references are really difficult because they change in every spot.
You could adjust your pass. mirror slightly downward, but up enough for normal driving. So that when you stand up on the foot rest and your head is against the ceiling you can barely see the curb.
Practicing with a parking cone and a flag is an option too. 🤷

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got a spot you can practice? Do you care about your rims?
You could bump the rear tire against the curb, find your reference point, then re-park slightly further away. Parallel parking references are really difficult because they change in every spot.
You could adjust your pass. mirror slightly downward, but up enough for normal driving. So that when you stand up on the foot rest and your head is against the ceiling you can barely see the curb.
Practicing with a parking cone and a flag is an option too. 🤷
Yeah i care about my rims like most people i think

Yeah gonna try to find a calm place and practicing to park and try to do the things you said and see how that works out

But there is no option that my mirrors tilt when i program it or do you need the powered seats to have that option?

·
Registered
25 Posts
But there is no option that my mirrors tilt when i program it or do you need the powered seats to have that option?
No need for power mirrors. Just adjust them for your everyday driving to be slightly lower.
Basically so when you stretch your head all the way up to the ceiling you can barely make out the curb.
It's a bit of a balancing act, esp in a manual.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No need for power mirrors. Just adjust them for your everyday driving to be slightly lower.
Basically so when you stretch your head all the way up to the ceiling you can barely make out the curb.
It's a bit of a balancing act, esp in a manual.
Ok i will try that

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
If you're used to a 'city car' with nice square corners the E46 CAN be a bit intimidating,
as its corners are not visible.

Yes, practice. Practice bumping things- set up traffic dividers, and try to JUST touch them.
(use the tall batons that you can see move) The idea is to learn where the corners of the
car are from where you sit.

I remember parallel parking practice between a '65 chevy pickup and a '76 AMC Pacer, with
a couple of logs as 'curbs'. But that's dating myself.

The e46 IS a large car in many parts of Europe.

t
buys tires with 'rim protectors' and doesn't stretchy- pokey- stantsy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Try to find some reference point (a point on your car that aligns with the other cars around you) that you can repeat every time, like in the video linked below.
I have my own reference points but the ones below are a good start.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have an E46 with tilting mirrors but the kerb side mirror packed up completely so I tilted it so that I could see the kerb, It is permanently in that position as I don’t need it with normal driving but it is a big help when parking.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Hello, i have a hard time to parallel park or parking in general with my E46

I have a euro E46 with the split mirrors idk what the split line thing is, i don’t have the powered seats so i don’t think i have the tilt mirror option maybe i can activate that option idk? I find the mirrors to be a bit small or something i can’t see the the street curb when i try to park really annoying

Does anyone have this problem or a trick/advice or something so can park?

Thinking of buying those small mirror you stick into your mirror but idk if they are worth it good and such

Hard to parallel park...

Fixed it.

If you cannot parallel park an E46, you can't parallel park anything. You need more practice, not more mirrors.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you cannot parallel park an E46, you can't parallel park anything.
Not everyone was born in the USA and has driven land yachts all his life. For Euro standards of younger drivers, the E46 is a relatively large car.

Not to mention that the typical parking spot in European cities is probably a couple of ft. longer than the E46. Been there, done that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts