E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!
I got my 2004 E46 320d in January. The previous owner said the steering gear was replaced (I don't remember what was the reason of the change), then was the beginning of the steering wheel to be this "hard" (or not that easy) to turn.
Just in case to be understandable, it has the power steering effect, but it isn't that strong than for example my friend's E46, I could drive by 1 hand his car for an hour, I couldn't drive mine this way, only for about 10 minutes.

ATF (Power steering) fluid is not low, and not that thick (I'll attach a picture)
OBD scanner didn't show any errors (I don't know if it would or not)

What should be my next step? Thanks!

Power steering fluid:

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Several things to check,
first being that it's the right rack for the car!

Next, I'd jack both front wheels off the ground, and make sure it turns
easily- with the engine off, it should be easy to turn from lock to lock, slowly.
You will feel the resistance of the fluid, but it should be low resistance when turning
slowly, getting harder the faster you turn.

If it's super easy to spin fast, then there's a major hydraulic fault with the rack.

Others will chime in...

t

Reactions: LegaBalu

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Several things to check,
first being that it's the right rack for the car!

Next, I'd jack both front wheels off the ground, and make sure it turns
easily- with the engine off, it should be easy to turn from lock to lock, slowly.
You will feel the resistance of the fluid, but it should be low resistance when turning
slowly, getting harder the faster you turn.

If it's super easy to spin fast, then there's a major hydraulic fault with the rack.

Others will chime in...

t
Thank you very much, I will try it in the next days and tell you what happened.

·
Premium Member
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
4,336 Posts
What year is your friend's E46?
The early cars had what was often referred to as "overboosted" power steering which they fixed on the later models. You may not be comparing apples to apples and yours may be completely normal.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,785 Posts
just to add that well depending on rack, the “boost” feel is different between models. some are tighter and not as much a powered feel.

but something could certainly be wrong with new rack. old rack could have put debris in system and new rack valves and lines plugged up some. look at the power steering fluid reservoir with cap off and car running. is there a slight flow or not? this helps determine if pump is working and/or rack is flowing.

but as mentioned before, the new rack could be a sportier model. which is tighter. so you’ll have to determine if that’s it too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What year is your friend's E46?
The early cars had what was often referred to as "overboosted" power steering which they fixed on the later models. You may not be comparing apples to apples and yours may be completely normal.
His car was made in 2001, so it is 3 years older than mine

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just to add that well depending on rack, the “boost” feel is different between models. some are tighter and not as much a powered feel.

but something could certainly be wrong with new rack. old rack could have put debris in system and new rack valves and lines plugged up some. look at the power steering fluid reservoir with cap off and car running. is there a slight flow or not? this helps determine if pump is working and/or rack is flowing.

but as mentioned before, the new rack could be a sportier model. which is tighter. so you’ll have to determine if that’s it too.
All right thanks, I will give it a try. Should I just let the car running, or turning the wheel as well?

And if there isn’t problem at all with the steering system, so that is normal and is strange for me only, would a new rack make the feeling better/smoother?

·
Premium Member
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
4,336 Posts
His car was made in 2001, so it is 3 years older than mine

Real OEM shows the cutoff between the old and the new as 9/01, so I really think that his is just the overboosted steering.

You'd only make yours drive like his by replacing the steering components with the old stuff. Most people see what you have as an improvement.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Real OEM shows the cutoff between the old and the new as 9/01, so I really think that his is just the overboosted steering.

You'd only make yours drive like his by replacing the steering components with the old stuff. Most people see what you have as an improvement.
Okay, I’ll check out
Thanks for your time!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts