BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Warning to anyone with Harbor Freight 3 ton & 6 ton Heavy Duty Steel jack stands ... they are being recalled due to risk of the pawl disengaging and dropping the extension lift post.

Copy and pasted below the text of an email I received today about this from Harbor Freight. I actually bought a set of the 6 ton stands (61197) last year but returned them because I didn't like how such a small area of the pawl was engaging the teeth on the lift post*. It seemed very minimal compared to my 3 ton jack stands from Walmart. [EDIT: * now that I think about it, I could not see the pawl engaging the teeth b/c its hidden; I was comparing the notches in the lift post to my other jack stands and the HF ones seemed less robust.]

May 19, 2020

NHTSA Campaign I.D. Numbers: 20E-016 and 20E-027

Dear Sir or Madam,

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

Harbor Freight Tools ("HFT") has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety may exist in certain Pittsburgh Automotive 3 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stands (models 61196 or 56371) and 6 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stands (model 61197). Our records reflect that you purchased at least one of these pairs of Jack Stands.

What is the Condition?

For certain units of the Pittsburgh Automotive 3 Ton and 6 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stands there is a potential, while under load and with a shift in weight, for the pawl to disengage from the extension lifting post, allowing the stand to drop suddenly. This condition could cause serious injury for people near or under a lifted vehicle, and/or damage to property. As a precautionary measure, we request that you discontinue use of the jack stand(s) identified below immediately.

Jack Stands included in this recall campaign include:

Item Number Item Description Sale Date Range

Pittsburgh Automotive 3 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stand
January 2013 to March 2020

Pittsburgh Automotive 3 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stand
March 2020 to April 2020

Pittsburgh Automotive 6 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stand
June 2013 to March 2020

No other Item Numbers are involved in this recall. The 61196 and 61197 jack stands can be identified by checking the item number found on the yellow part of the label on the base of each jack stand.

The 56371 jack stands can be identified by checking the item number found on the label on the top of each jack stand.

What will Harbor Freight Tools do?

To all customers who participate in the Recall by returning their pairs of 3 Ton or 6 Ton Jack Stands item numbers 56371, 61196, and/or 61197, Harbor Freight Tools will provide a gift card equal to the retail price of the jack stands you originally purchased. Along with providing the gift card equal to the retail price of the jack stands you originally purchased, Harbor Freight Tools is providing a 20% one-time use coupon; see bottom of this notification. This coupon may be used toward the purchase of new jack stands, or toward the purchase of any other item in the store not subject to the coupon limitations. To use, customers must hand the coupon to the store cashier to scan.

What should you do?

Following the lifting of any applicable "Shelter At Home Orders", please bring your 3 Ton and/or 6 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stands, item numbers 56371, 61196, or 61197, to your local Harbor Freight Tools store to receive a Harbor Freight Tools gift card equal to the retail price of the jack stands you originally purchased (plus applicable tax). You do NOT need to provide a receipt; you only need to return your pair of Jack Stands. Directions to your nearest Harbor Freight Tools store can be found on our website at www.harborfreight.com.

Customer Service Help:

If you believe that you returned your jack stands and the store failed to provide you with a gift card within a reasonable period of time, please contact:

[email protected]

Harbor Freight Tools
Attn: Customer Service
P.O. Box 6010
Camarillo, CA 93011-6010
800-444-3353

If you still believe that HFT failed to remedy the issue described above without charge and within 60 days of the date of this notice, you may file a complaint with:

Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration,
1200 New Jersey Avenue SE,
Washington, DC 20590

Or call the toll free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153) or go to http://www.safercar.gov

Thank you for being a Harbor Freight Tools customer.

We regret this inconvenience but hope you understand that our concern for your safety is paramount.

Sincerely,

Harbor Freight Tools
20% off Coupon

Harbor Freight Tools | 26541 Agoura Rd. | Calabasas, CA 91302 | Unsubscribe

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thank you for providing a valuable service! I went straight out to the garage and found my Triumph sitting on a pair of 61197 jack stands. I was using them because of their greater height, as I am doing significant work under the car. Yikes. I'll be putting it onto other stands before I get under it again...

·
Registered
2005 ZHP Convertible 6MT
111 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I also went straight to my garage. I have 2 - 61197 and 2 - 62393

Interesting that I bought all 4 - 6 ton jacks all at the same time and never noticed that they weren't all the same part number

I went to the HF website and looked up the 61197 and they list 4 part numbers for the this jack:

PITTSBURGH AUTOMOTIVE 6 ton Steel Jack Stands - Item 61197 / 38847 / 62393 / 69596

makes me wonder why they all aren't in the recall

and in this article, HF announced this March 20th and is just getting around to notifying people 8 weeks later https://www.consumeraffairs.com/recalls/harbor-freight-recalls-pittsburgh-automotive-6-ton-heavy-duty-steel-jack-stands-033120.html

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for sharing. I also went straight to my garage. I have 2 - 61197 and 2 - 62393

Interesting that I bought all 4 - 6 ton jacks all at the same time and never noticed that they weren't all the same part number

I went to the HF website and looked up the 61197 and they list 4 part numbers for the this jack:

PITTSBURGH AUTOMOTIVE 6 ton Steel Jack Stands - Item 61197 / 38847 / 62393 / 69596

makes me wonder why they all aren't in the recall

and in this article, HF announced this March 20th and is just getting around to notifying people 8 weeks later https://www.consumeraffairs.com/recalls/harbor-freight-recalls-pittsburgh-automotive-6-ton-heavy-duty-steel-jack-stands-033120.html
Really good question ... do the ones you have look different between the model #s??

·
Registered
2005 ZHP Convertible 6MT
111 Posts
Really good question ... do the ones you have look different between the model #s??
They look identical regardless of model number...... they use multiple manufacturers, and they attached link to the NHTSA article says Covid has delayed the tests on those models..... https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCLRPT-20E016-6561.PDF

Harbor Freight Tools sells 6 ton jack stands made by other manufacturers, and
we are in the process of evaluating those other jack stands. However, their
evaluation has been delayed by the work restrictions caused by COVID-19.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have four 3-ton, but I believe mine are much older than the recalled units. They don't have numbers where the article indicates, but the labels with the part numbers are mostly scratched off anyway...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Interesting. I too went to the garage immediately. Flashlight in my skivvies. I couldn't see all my jackstands but the only HF I found were identical looking and #69597 coded. I will put a note on them not to be used without asking me as I have the funny feeling they'll eventually get declared in the recall as Pedro speculates. It also made me notice the difference in quality of appearance. Several older pairs have beautiful welds and custom stamped legs. Many of the newer pairs (I have 8 pairs) are built from straight flat stock and the welds are clearly not well done. It's something I've just shrugged and ignored but this has me thinking about it. Thanks for the head's up.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
So many garbage products coming from Harbor Freight. Many like it for the cheap prices but not worth getting hurt or killed using their crappy products.

·
Registered
2003 325xi 5spd Manual
820 Posts
Now im deadly afraid of my non recalled stands. A couple weeks ago it was VERY sketchy to me, the jack stands were slipping and shifting when trying to lift the car off them. I had to chock the rear wheels and start praying to get the front stands off.

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Now im deadly afraid of my non recalled stands. A couple weeks ago it was VERY sketchy to me, the jack stands were slipping and shifting when trying to lift the car off them. I had to chock the rear wheels and start praying to get the front stands off.
Yeah, the shifting weight is what supposedly leads to the problem. Its not certain that all HF stand suffer this issue, but you don't want to take chances.

Take a look at the teeth on the lifting post where the pawl engages. If there is little room/area for the pawl to fit into and engage on the teeth, then it may be an issue. I returned the HF jack stands I bought last year, because the teeth looked sketchy compared to my other ones from Walmart.

Fwiw, Pedro2u posted above that HF will test more jack stands but are being delayed by Kung Flu issues, so yours might get recalled eventually (and refunded). In the meantime, might be good to invest in a new set

They look identical regardless of model number...... they use multiple manufacturers, and they attached link to the NHTSA article says Covid has delayed the tests on those models..... https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCLRPT-20E016-6561.PDF

Harbor Freight Tools sells 6 ton jack stands made by other manufacturers, and
we are in the process of evaluating those other jack stands. However, their
evaluation has been delayed by the work restrictions caused by COVID-19.

·
Registered
2003 325xi 5spd Manual
820 Posts
Yeah, the shifting weight is what supposedly leads to the problem. Its not certain that all HF stand suffer this issue, but you don't want to take chances.

Take a look at the teeth on the lifting post where the pawl engages. If there is little room/area for the pawl to fit into and engage on the teeth, then it may be an issue. I returned the HF jack stands I bought last year, because the teeth looked sketchy compared to my other ones from Walmart.
They look very good, in fact the newest pair I bought were very good looking compared to the old set I had 2 years ago. The quality control on the stands is absolutely garbage by being made in china pumped out nonstop. I still would probably buy their snap on knockoff daytona jack...

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,384 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
This DID make me pull out all the jackstands I could find, put them in the middle in the garage floor, and tell them all to be careful.

Only 2 were HF, and those were so old they didn't even have part numbers on them.

I DID inspect them all, just to make sure they were in decent shape.

t

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,093 Posts
This DID make me pull out all the jackstands I could find, put them in the middle in the garage floor, and tell them all to be careful.

Only 2 were HF, and those were so old they didn't even have part numbers on them.

I DID inspect them all, just to make sure they were in decent shape.

t
I did the exact same thing yesterday. Found one set of old HF 6-ton stands with the model number sticker miraculously still on them, thankfully not recalled.

I use these stands a lot because they***8217;re adjustable. Four stands for only $45.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Camco-Aluminum-Jack-Stands/2489814.uts
Of course, I always have another stand or jack under the car as backup.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts