E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
BMW E46, 320d, 110kW, 6 speed touring, M47N
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, last sunday (20th Nov) my car has been acting weird. Once I shut down the engine, rear brake lights came on, along with faulty rear lights on cluster, tempomat icon came on and temp gauge went all the way to hot (without the red light coming on), so I disconnected the battery overnight and connected it back in the morning, which solved some of my issues. However, now half of my cluster isn't working, to be exact my speedometer doesn't work, odometer, trip meter, average and immediate fuel consumption, average speed don't work, and remaining range is maxed out at 570km (354.18mi), and doesn't move at all, (filled up my tank today), although before filling it up, it did work but it seems that once the car starts accelerating a bit, the range immediately drops by 20km, and so does the fuel tank gauge. And on top of that, my parking sensors stopped working.

Diagnostics showed up as follows:
5E16 CAN Timeout Instrument Cluster
48D3 CAN Communication with Instrument Cluster
48E3 (unknown)

I would perform the cluster gauge test, but the left button doesn't work.

Also, the ABS/DSC lights aren't on, though they work when I start up the car, then they come off. Tempomat works just fine, thermostat too

·
Premium Member
4,839 Posts
Sure sounds like the cluster's failed.

In your shoes, I'd go junkyarding for another, at the cheap junkyards, and just try a direct swap.

Maybe take it out and see if there's obvious damage, like from water?

t

·
Registered
BMW E46, 320d, 110kW, 6 speed touring, M47N
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update - Parking sensors now work! Turns out there's a little wire for the parikng sensors that connects straight to the battery, which i carelessly disconnected.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts