E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In all honesty, am I being foolish for even considering Eibach Prokit over H&R sport for my girlfriends soon to be 238CI or 330CI (picking up a car next week). She's really good about paying attention when she drives my A4 (lowered 2 inches w/19's) but that's only on rare occasions and I stress that she pays attention. should I just take the safe route and put the H&R sports on the car or take a chance and go for the Eibach's with slightly more drop. Call will have 19's on it within a couple of months. Thanks in advance

·
BMW Land Barge
1,360 Posts
OK, I have to ask: Does SHE want the car lowered? Or do YOU want her car lowered? If it's the latter, I'd say you're being foolish for considering ANY kit.

Bimmer shocks wear out VERY fast with lowering springs, as well. Mine are halfway shot at 30K with STOCK springs.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She wants it lowered as in her words "there's too much fender gap in in the front". but she doesn't want it too stiff like my car. lowered on Race springs with Bilstein Sport shocks. So yes it will be lowered in 1 way or the other...she leaves all of the decisions up to me (that's why I've already purchased "The Rock" and I'm waiting for the right time to reveal it.) Anyhow sorry to ramble about my personal life there....

Simple answer is Yes she wants a lower ride height without compromising too much comfort...the logical decision is the H&R sports, I just like the look of the Eibach's that much more.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
almost forgot, her previous eclipse GSX that was lowered slightly also....but she's been driving a beater for 6 months and I'm fearing that her "awareness" of road obsticles has gone away somewhat.

·
Registered
632 Posts
i would get the eibach then. it offers probably the smoothest ride out of any aftermarket springs, i think the H&R's get bumpy and ride harsh compared to Eibach

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
02White330Ci
Thanks for the insight...I've been searching through threads and there seems to be a mixed opinion on how stiff or soft the H&R springs are. I appreciate the input. Do I need shocks with the Eibach's or can they be run on the stock sports shocks?

·
Registered
632 Posts
u can use stock shocks with the eibachs for a lot longer then with the H&R's, thats my guess. i think they wear quicker with the H&R's. Im still in the process of getting springs, my friend is putting H&R's in his E36 M3 this weekend, so i wanna see how that rides before i order my springs, Im looking at either H&R race or or intrax sport.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
OK, I have to ask: Does SHE want the car lowered? Or do YOU want her car lowered? If it's the latter, I'd say you're being foolish for considering ANY kit.

Bimmer shocks wear out VERY fast with lowering springs, as well. Mine are halfway shot at 30K with STOCK springs.
how can you tell ur shocks are halfway shot??............maybe i should check mine too........

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
Why not go w/H&R cup kit? It covers the shocks and springs all together.

·
Registered
5 Posts
H & R's are really rough. Had them on 332ci and the ride was almost not acceptable. I just put on the Bavarian Autosport springs and they are really soft... They are not as tightly coiled as most progressive springs and b/c of that they have a much smoother ride... The handling might suffer in terms of not being as firm when pushing them but the ride quality is worth it. I'm adding Billstein Sports shocks next and this will ride like a stock suspension as the shocks willl give that perfect added absorbtion the compressed shocks have now, which of course is due to the fact that the shorter wpring isn't allowing the stock shock enough time to absorb before recoiling... That's the one problem with dropping and laving the stock shocks, you end up traveling on the worst part of the piston creating less bump control... So far, these new springs are way softer than the H & R's.

·
Banned
3,769 Posts
advan24r said:
Why not go w/H&R cup kit? It covers the shocks and springs all together.
those are pretty bumpy and i dont think a girl wants a bumpy ride. seems like she doesnt' really care about handling so i think the prokit would be good for her. but i've read somewhere that even tho the prokit was smoother, it handled better? i might be tripping tho. but HR will be stiffer than Eibachs most of the time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here's my ride on the Bavarian Springs just after install.

:jawknee:

Dropped on Bavarian Autosport Springs - $200

Still settling, but so far looks pretty slammed...

On 19inch wheels...

Ride is muuuuuuuch smoother than H&R's... No question....

With shocks on the way this will ride like a stock suspension...!

dpablo

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
you guys are scaring me... i just ordered the cupkit and i'm seriously hoping that it won't be that much harsher than my prokit w/ OEM shocks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I understand your concern... You have to remember what each part is doing... While lowering springs determine the drop they also control the initial bounce and downforce your car takes as it hits bumps and road imperfections.... But, it is the shocks job to finish the absorbtion as the spring keeps contact with the road... So, a shorter spring lowers your car but also produces a rougher ride because the shock stock shock no longer has enough travel time do do it's abosrbtion... Think of it as a ball being dropped from your hand and no ever reaching your hand again because it looses the umph needed to make it all the way back up... In a sense, there is an invisible shock (distance) in the example that abosrbs the hit... However, if you squat down and drop the same ball from a much closer distance, the ball has less travel space and slams back into your hand quickly... So, with lowered spring you need a shorter shock to keep the shorter spring "in control" so that while it's springing back up (like the ball) the rate at which it is doing that is absorbed because the shorter sport shock is able to control that movement resulting in a smooth ride and faster absorbtion... Coil overs, while they are non linear (at least from what i've read) are designed primarily for tracks because they allow you to lower each wheel individually in order to optimise handling and other dynamics... From my understanding, they are a stiffer or firmer ride but not always a smoother (stock-like) ride... To me, linear springs should be smoother but perhaps they are coiled so tightly that they are always firm and require a softer shock to create an acceptable ride... My suggestion is always to find the least progressive shock so it's not coiled tightly (ideal for city driving) and a shorter shock to help with the overall absorbtion of road conditions out of our control (bumps, etc...) and you should be fine... Again, this is ALL just my opinion and based on my own lowering experiences... :)

Happy riding...

dpablo

·
Registered
307 Posts
Re: Here's my ride on the Bavarian Springs just after install.

dpablo said:
:jawknee:

Dropped on Bavarian Autosport Springs - $200

Still settling, but so far looks pretty slammed...

On 19inch wheels...

Ride is muuuuuuuch smoother than H&R's... No question....

With shocks on the way this will ride like a stock suspension...!

dpablo
How much fender gap is there with these springs? I am looking for a drop with no fender gap and realatively close to stock ride.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There is almost NO fender gap... In the picture it's a little hard to tell because of the loss of detail where the black tire blends against the fender... I'll post a clearer picture soon and you'll be able to see that in the front I almost can't even get my finger between the tire and the fender -- and the rear is even a pinch lower than that...! It rides pretty smooth but certainly is not stock -- it's close though and I don't even have shocks yet... It looks petty dropped when most people see it and I was even a bit surprised at how low yet clean it remained... :)

Hope this helped...

dpablo

1 - 16 of 16 Posts