E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted earlier about some questions about suspension, and I have decided to run with the H&R race spring set up on sport suspension, on stock 17's, looking to upgrade as high as 19's but im also running M3 side skirts and M3 front bumper with CF lip. My concern is that with the drop and the new bumper and lip that it will not be practical to drive it without scraping everything. Is scraping going to be as big of a problem as I think? and should I just go with the sport suspension rather than the race?

Keep in mind the numbers
Racing-1.1"F, 0.90"R

Sport- 0.75"F, 0.25"R

·
There I was, Sicily, 1918..
2,594 Posts
It probably will -- I dropped my E36 (originally non-sport) to H&R Sports -- Racing was just too much of a drop (it's 1.5"F/1.0"R for Sport, and over 2" for Racing for my E36) -- and while the car looks great, the drop's made it very easy to bottom out on speed bumps and you have to go in at sharp angles on driveways.

Given your other mods, I would go Sport, personally... an average 1" drop is actually quite a bit if you measure from the bottom :)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Depends on how much you want to deal with and how much scrap is okay. You will definitely start scraping. You will definitely either want to back into all parking spots or stop short to avoid the curb. Generally, sport springs are good for everything. Race springs, you will start scraping on stuff like curbs, possibly drive through car washes, speed bumps, high graded driveways, etc. Just really depends on what you want.

I had race springs for a bit and it was acceptable for me. But I did scrap on a few things. The biggest mistake that I feel I made was getting race springs and not saving up for coilovers which I ended up getting anyways. At least with coilovers, if I don't like the drop or it is too low/high, I can always change it.

·
Registered
15,612 Posts
I posted earlier about some questions about suspension, and I have decided to run with the H&R race spring set up on sport suspension, on stock 17's, looking to upgrade as high as 19's but im also running M3 side skirts and M3 front bumper with CF lip. My concern is that with the drop and the new bumper and lip that it will not be practical to drive it without scraping everything. Is scraping going to be as big of a problem as I think? and should I just go with the sport suspension rather than the race?

Keep in mind the numbers
Racing-1.1"F, 0.90"R

Sport- 0.75"F, 0.25"R
Take it for what its worth, i've been running H&R Sports for 3 years now.

60k miles later, suspension is still in great condition
More realistic drop on this kit is 1 inch up front, .5 rear
Nice raked look
Minor scraping, glad i didn't go race
Ride isn't harsh at all, tad stiffer than OEM sport

Not to sound cocky, but there really is no reason to go race when H&R Sports look that good... not to mention, they are definitely more practical for a DD

·
Registered
290 Posts
YJJR4884 - Your car is soooo pimp. Im glad i also chose that setup, my H&R sport springs and 18 VB3 CSL are on the way!

·
:D
7,735 Posts
the h&r sport springs for sport suspension are the same thing as race springs for non-sport suspension. same part number, same exact thing.
that given, i strongly recommend getting the sport springs for sport suspension. they will give you more drop than you think. you will scrape on major hills and other things but it's definitely a good option for a daily driver. i run these springs on my car and don't have any issues. it looks great with no wheel gap and it's drivable.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
JJR4884,

Did your car have the 5mm or 15mm rear upper spring pad?

From what I understand-- Body rake hinders handling.

·
Registered
19 Posts
JJR4884 did your car have the oem sports suspension package b4 installing H&R sports springs? I hear if your car came with sport suspension then it will sit lower than if it were just the stock height from factory, as the H&R setup has 2 x different part numbers...1 for sports sus and 1 for factory.

Btw your car looks sweet!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts