E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 02 330ci with the sp, and im getting some pg3's, i know if i dont drop it ill be 4x4ing so what would u guys recomend? H&R springs or the coil overs? sorry im kinda new to modding and i dont know the pros and cons to coil overs/springs. thanks in advance:thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmm, i have enough for coil overs, but can someone tell me why coil overs might be a better choice than say the H&R cup kit?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,940 Posts
My big thing is the height adjustment but on some of them there are other options such as adjusting dampening.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
491 Posts
mark330ci said:
hmm, i have enough for coil overs, but can someone tell me why coil overs might be a better choice than say the H&R cup kit?
Will you adjust your suspension constantly? Will you go to a track? Do you have the extra $$$ to get your car properly allignened and corner balanced?

Only other benefit to others is that you can change the height, if for some reason you can't live with a "common" drop.

If you don't need it, why pay more for something?
 

·
Italian driver of German
Joined
·
884 Posts
Why does everyone say you necessarily need coils if you are going to a track? :dunno: I would adjust them down in the spring and up in the fall for winter... Isn't that allowed? :dunno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
491 Posts
RyanDe680 said:
Why does everyone say you necessarily need coils if you are going to a track? :dunno: I would adjust them down in the spring and up in the fall for winter... Isn't that allowed? :dunno:
I think you are refering to me. That is why my second statment consisted of....

330iGt said:

Only other benefit to others is that you can change the height, if for some reason you can't live with a "common" drop.
You gotta do whatcha gotta do.. :thumbup:
 

·
Italian driver of German
Joined
·
884 Posts
330iGt said:


I think you are refering to me. That is why my second statment consisted of....



You gotta do whatcha gotta do.. :thumbup:
No just in general... lots of people say the same thing.. I was just wondering what I was missing.. :dunno: I was thinking of getting the KW v2 coils............
 

·
my 3rd e46, 1st ///M
Joined
·
1,973 Posts
330iGt said:
Do you have the extra $$$ to get your car properly allignened and corner balanced?
you'd have to get them aligned each time you adjusted the height? sorry if it's a common-sense type question:sad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
491 Posts
kidsdoc said:


you'd have to get them aligned each time you adjusted the height? sorry if it's a common-sense type question:sad:
Yeah you do.. and Corner balancing typically costs twice as much alignments.

Btw, it's not a common-sense q. :thumbup:
 

·
my 3rd e46, 1st ///M
Joined
·
1,973 Posts
330iGt said:
Yeah you do.. and Corner balancing typically costs twice as much alignments.
what is corner balancing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
Stick with a good quality spring and shock combination. The Cupkits by H&R are ok, but nothing special. I think you can do much better with a sport spring like the H&R and a quality shock like the Koni Sport adjustables. For 9/10 people this combination is more than sufficient as a daily driver in terms of handling, comfort and looks.

Coilovers are nice, but considerably more involved from an installation standpoint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
491 Posts
kidsdoc said:


what is corner balancing?
Basically, The height of each corner determines how much weight is added to a given corner. Once you get on the track, your car might do excellent right turns, but starts to get shaky with lefts. This is just an example of what unequal distribution does to the car. Also, your car might understeer/oversteer with certain turns of the wheel.

If you're getting coils, i'd suggest getting a corner balance so you can fully take advatage from your set.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,371 Posts
how about bilstein pss? its only 900$. HR uses bilstein shocks and its liek 1500
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
491 Posts
p0tpie said:
how about bilstein pss? its only 900$. HR uses bilstein shocks and its liek 1500
If you're gonna get coilovers, atleast get the PSS9's that have dampening.


P.S. If anyone needs a set ,contact me.
 

·
Resident Biznatch Slapper
Joined
·
269 Posts
330iGt said:


Yeah you do.. and Corner balancing typically costs twice as much alignments.

You absolutely DO NOT need to get your car aligned every time you raise or lower your car. Be careful of who you get information from on this or any other message forum. I've been racing seriously for two years and have had coilovers for longer than that. You don't need to realign when you change your stance. Come on people, don't give out information unless you know the answer. :banghead: :thumbdwn:
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top