E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2005 BMW 330i ZHP Auto
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Backstory:

Back in late February I purchased the UUC Tuned Spring Set V.2 for my 330i ZHP. My main reasoning was their 100% compatibility guarantee with oem struts. After much back and forth with UUC, I finally received a box of springs today with H&R branding. I was expecting this, as a representative of UUC told me that H&R supplied all their springs. Upon opening the box, I found that the springs are H&R 29485. Coincidentally, UUC also sells this exact same spring as seen here, stating that they are for cars WITHOUT sport suspension.

I'm hoping that someone who has experience with either of these springs can chime in. Is it ok to install these H&R springs on my e46 with new Sachs struts? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, my experience with UUC has left me with no faith in their brand whatsoever, thus I turned to the forums for an answer.

Thanks!

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,823 Posts
it***8217;ll fit. just the amount posted it will drop will vary only because the non-sport has an initial taller height.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
I ran those H&R springs for awhile, but with Koni Sport struts/shocks. Frankly, I think they would be too aggressive for the OE Sachs struts/shocks and could cause them to wear out faster.

When it comes to suspension modifications, it is important to use parts complimentary to one another.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,823 Posts

·
Registered
2005 BMW 330i ZHP Auto
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ran those H&R springs for awhile, but with Koni Sport struts/shocks. Frankly, I think they would be too aggressive for the OE Sachs struts/shocks and could cause them to wear out faster.

When it comes to suspension modifications, it all comes down to parts complimentary to one another.
Yeah that's why I wanted the UUC ones in the first place. If they end up wearing quickly it's just an excuse to do it right next time and get coil overs :)

with your 330zhp you already have the “sport” spring height, what type of drop are you looking to achieve?

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=590233&highlight=H&R+29485+springs
Was hoping for just a slight drop as the local roads are pretty poor, but as long as it's not slammed, I'll be happy.

·
Registered
328Ci
234 Posts
The link you posted for "tuned" set clearly states in the description it is for vehicles without factory sport suspension option, and I'm not even a native speaker.

·
Registered
2005 BMW 330i ZHP Auto
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The link you posted for "tuned" set clearly states in the description it is for vehicles without factory sport suspension option, and I'm not even a native speaker.
Would you look at that. Haha not sure how I missed that. I must've read the description a dozen times.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have the 29485. Not sure how much you can compare them but the ride is atrocious on my Koni OEM+ shocks and I can only imagine it's even worse on stock shocks.

Was hoping for just a slight drop as the local roads are pretty poor, but as long as it's not slammed, I'll be happy.
So I did the research because I basically want the same now, and the way to go for that is the Bilstein B12 Pro Kit. H&R springs tend to slam our cars (at least my 29485 did). No joke, my suspension travel on stock bump stops literally went to 0mm in the front. It was riding the bump stops. The Eibach Pro Kit is that subtle drop you are looking for that maintains good comfort on bad roads and the B12 Kit from Bilstein comes with specially adapted B8 dampers designed to work with the Eibach Pro Kit springs.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,823 Posts
these may not be the drop/comfort you’re after

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Eibach springs (Pro Kit) are worth looking into as well. They seem to be the sweet spot between OE Sport and H&Rs.

·
Registered
2005 BMW 330i ZHP Auto
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Guys I really appreciate all the feedback. The 29485 springs seem to be over an inch shorter than the ones I pulled from my car so I guess we'll see.

I wasn't originally planning on installing H&R springs but these are the parts I'm stuck with for now. I'll definitely get the Eibach pro kit when I have to do the job again.

·
Registered
2005 BMW 330i ZHP Auto
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just got the fronts in and it seems to have raised the car slightly if anything. (excuse the curbing, they're my winter set)
I also installed strut tower plates.
After I do the rears and they've had time to settle in, I'll report back.

Attachments

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,823 Posts
The 29485 springs seem to be over an inch shorter than the ones I pulled from my car so I guess we'll see..
don’t worry about the spring length while free. i’ve actually taken out zsp rear springs that were shorter side by side than the H&R that I was putting in that still lowered the height once weight was on it.
Just got the fronts in and it seems to have raised the car slightly if anything. I also installed strut tower plates.
After I do the rears and they've had time to settle in, I'll report back.
well with strut tower plates it will raise it some in front.
anyone doing fronts I always tell them to check the strut is all the way down seated in the steering knuckle and that the strut housing aligning nub sits in the channel.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,823 Posts

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,823 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts