E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have less than 1k miles on my new GS-D3s and noticed a bubble in the sidewall yesterday. I searched and found one other posting on GS-D3 bubbles. Has anyone else had this problem???
I have not hit any pot-holes with these tires. I have hit some pretty hard in the past and have never had this problem with any other tire so what gives?

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
The vast majority of bubbles we see are caused from impact damage.
Low profile tires are more likely to have bubbles due to short sidewalls.
Almost all GSD3 tires are low profile tires and they are extremely popular so there are a lot of them out there.

Therefore it is likely that there are many drivers out there with this tire that have bubbles caused from impact damage.

If you are confident that you hit nothing at all, I would suggest that you have the tire dismounted and inspected for internal damage or a defect. If the inner liner is torn near the bubble, you've hit something to cause it... If there is no damage you may have a warranty claim situation to explore.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Wow, another one. Now I'm really glad I didn't get the the GSD3s. I've heard this same issue from others (not on this forum) who currently have the same tires on other cars. Bad batch maybe?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's too big of a pia to do all that, so I'll just order another one. I have 10/32 of tread still on the tires. As you said in another post, that is irrelevant because you could hit something on your way back from having them mounted and balanced. I, however, feel the odds that are very slim especially considering I'm the second one on this forum to post about this issue w/ less than 1K on the tires. I have bent rims and not had a bubble in the s-wall on the same series tires. While I understand your stance I attribute this to the design and/or compound of the tire or I just got a bad one. I also feel that given the fact the tires are brand new Good-Year should eat it. You win some you loose some. I am a pretty reasonable person, If I hit a pothole my bad, I'd gladly pay the piper but I have not hit anything to to warrant that type of damage even if upon inspection there is a crack on the interior.

·
Mod Squad
10,010 Posts
You know I think this happened to another member recently as well. I can't remember his SN off the top of my head. He's got the grey facelift coupe with an ACS add on, buncha UUC parts, he's part of Eurowerks team...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts