BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does your throttle body make a whinning, high pitch noise around 2000-2500 rpm....if you keep your car running at that level...there is a whinning high pitch noise...could it be the flaps are rubbing against something???? or is it just more air coming in...just need to more opinions before I bring it back to the shop.

Thanks in advance guys..

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
richp...is there a way i can find out for sure if there is a vacuum leak. I just want to have all the facts before I start making accusations....Also, I forgot to mention that they have to order the Stage 3 MIPP for me because the DME wasn't supported at the time. They said that my car was to new. Production date 08/02. They downloaded all my car's info and will send it in to Dinan. Do you think not have the software affects the way the throttle sounds....It's actually annoying at the low rpms..soundsl like my bmw needs work...

·
...and I'd be all shiny..
1,831 Posts
I dont get any kind of whinning. I do hear a low whistle at lower RPM's but I think thats more the sound of air being pulled in by the CAI. I've noticed the sound with both the Dinan and the Gruppe M. I really like it since if you hit the ags quickly you can literally hear the car sucking in air and it sounds like "whoosh". Yes indeed it I said it sounds liek "woosh" and it get the adrenaline flowin' quite nicely.:thumbup:

·
Big in Japan
1,358 Posts
thanks ghostrider; i was going to ask you if you coupled this install with a dinan CIA, that may be the sound you are hearing. I would think if you had a vacuum leak it would set of the check engine, but i could be wrong. The software should have no affect on the sound.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GhostRider...thanks..you have always been so helpful....I guess you're right it's more of a whistle sound than whinning. But it's loud enough where it can be heard from inside the car, so I am assuming it's loud enough where it can be heard within 10 feet of the car... People are looking and wondering why a BMW sounds so beat up..Is that right to have that noise....I wish I can post some sound clips...

Can you do me a favor and next when you drive around your block, can you listen to see if you get that sound constantly at 2000-2500 rpms. Don't go below or above and let me know. I am very interested to find out.

Thanks a million....

·
Yes...I do think I hate you
1,648 Posts
I agree with Johnny Blaze up above, the air noise is more noticeable and the intake more agressive sounding. for performance, with the software, the engine pulls through each gear a little quicker it seems.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hey you guys with this setup.....

can you really feel the difference with the intake, thr body and stage 3 download??

I have a 01' 325ci with a UUC TSe and are just about to do the intake and throtle body with stage 3..

I hoping its worth the 2k they charge for it.

Please guys let me know your opinion.

Thanks !!

Pedro:thumbup:

·
Registered
374 Posts
can you really feel the difference with the intake, thr body and stage 3 download??
do a search for Ghostrider's dynos - they sure look like they make a big difference on the real dyno - b*tt dyno gains must be noticeable. He's got a 325 putting out almost 330 #'s.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
phamman said:
GhostRider...thanks..you have always been so helpful....I guess you're right it's more of a whistle sound than whinning. But it's loud enough where it can be heard from inside the car, so I am assuming it's loud enough where it can be heard within 10 feet of the car... People are looking and wondering why a BMW sounds so beat up..Is that right to have that noise....I wish I can post some sound clips...

Can you do me a favor and next when you drive around your block, can you listen to see if you get that sound constantly at 2000-2500 rpms. Don't go below or above and let me know. I am very interested to find out.

Thanks a million....
phamann, you are correct that the cai does seem to whistle the loudest around 2000-2500 rpms. I can hear it in my car, but i don't think that it is that loud.

Not sure if other folks around me can hear it but if they do, they know that i've got one badass :pimpin: ride :thumbup: It's normal.

·
1,831 Posts
phamman said:

Thanks a million....
Thanks!:D
That sounds like the right range I can hear the whistle but I also know that is usually occurs with the gas pedal at a certain point with either intake. I'll check when I get it back from service. The whistle was a little more pronounced with the Dinan than with the Gruppe M but they both still have it. Stand outside toward the front where the CAI is and have someone just quickly tap and release the gas pedal. You'll hear the 'whoosh' sound of the CAI taking a quick breath of air and may hear the whistle. Some find it annoying but I like hearing it. Other firends of mine who know anything about cars know that sound and smile.:D

Just gun it past 2500 next time and the pedestrians will hear the growl and not the whistle :D :D

:Edit: Oh, by the way the 'Dinan' and 'Gruppe M' boldfaced words in my sig are direct links to the dyno pages I posted all set for easy access. :thumbup:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks doughsun and ghostrider for the reassurance.

Doughsoun, I notice you're from OC too. whereabouts...would you like to meet one day and compare whistles.....Let me know..

Thanks.

·
1,831 Posts
Yup the whistle is generally in the 2000-2500 on my ride. I double checked today. BTW this sound is probably being made at the CAI(not the TB) but having a widened throttle body might make it more noticable since more air is being drawn through

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks ghostrider...i just have to get used to it...just hate it because in my complex there is alot of speed bumbs so i am always at 1500- 2500 rpms....

thanks again....

·
Registered
157 Posts
I also have the same whistle, I think it's coming from the CAI. Sounds kind of like a supercharger whine. :dunno:

·
The Man you Love to Hate
259 Posts
Do they offer the throttle body for 323ci's ?

Back in the day I was told it "was coming"

BUt I never follwed up-

TIA

·
frequent tire purchaser
654 Posts
silroc said:
Do they offer the throttle body for 323ci's ?

Back in the day I was told it "was coming"

BUt I never follwed up-

TIA
Yeah, I would like to know also. I suppose I could stop by Dinan on my way home, but if someone knows then that might be easier.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts