E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time and time again I hear the same question, "Does doing (modification X) void my warranty?"

I won't get into the "doing a little research on anything is your obligation to yourself" rant again, but I will point out the specific federal legislation that gives you the freedom to do what you want to do to your car:

First, the The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)):

http://www.sema.org/content/?ID=22238&criteria=warranty

And here's what do if your warranty claims are denied by your dealer:

http://www.sema.org/content/?ID=22237&criteria=warranty

(these links courtesy of SEMA)

Remember, don't be the helpless guy that asks to be spoon-fed on every little thing. Arm yourself with knowledge, it's the strongest force in the world.

- Rob

·
homeless and unemployed
188 Posts
sorry to rant somemore but how about the DDE kit... does the dealer have a case it he says the DDE kit made the xenons malfunction??

4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fgc7533 said:
sorry to rant somemore but how about the DDE kit... does the dealer have a case it he says the DDE kit made the xenons malfunction??
As the above links explain (you did read the web pages above, right?):

<i>Determine the True Cause of the Problem

If possible, attempt to independently verify the accuracy of the claims made by the dealership. The manufacturer of the aftermarket part may be helpful to you in providing a technical assessment of the problem. If there is a reasonable possibility that the aftermarket product caused the problem, it may be best to try to reach a compromise. If, however, it is clear that the aftermarket product is unrelated to the problem, you should attempt to gather as much information as possible to support your claim. Useful evidence might include photos, copies of relevant service information, records of prior repairs performed under warranty or the objective written opinion of a qualified third party (with relevant experience, accreditation, etc.)."</i>

This means it is up to the dealer to prove how the DDEs would cause the xenon bulbs (which are totally unaffected by DDE installation) to fail.

- Rob

·
homeless and unemployed
188 Posts
was just worried that the hole in the casing might or could lead to humidity build up in there or something to that effect.. the hole just makes the projection lamps more vulnerable to the evironment..

4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fgc7533 said:
was just worried that the hole in the casing might or could lead to humidity build up in there or something to that effect.. the hole just makes the projection lamps more vulnerable to the evironment..

Sealing the hole with some RTV or clear silicone is perfectly acceptable, and an easy and apparent preventative.

- Rob

·
OG Moderator Extraordinaire
5,754 Posts
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks said:
Time and time again I hear the same question, "Does doing (modification X) void my warranty?"

I won't get into the "doing a little research on anything is your obligation to yourself" rant again, but I will point out the specific federal legislation that gives you the freedom to do what you want to do to your car:

First, the The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)):

http://www.sema.org/content/?ID=22238&criteria=warranty

And here's what do if your warranty claims are denied by your dealer:

http://www.sema.org/content/?ID=22237&criteria=warranty

(these links courtesy of SEMA)

Remember, don't be the helpless guy that asks to be spoon-fed on every little thing. Arm yourself with knowledge, it's the strongest force in the world.

- Rob

well said Rob! Thanks. :thumbup:

peace
B

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
well, as someone who has run into problems with dealers and aftermarket parts I feel obliged to tell you that its not very direct or easy.

I knew about both of the above listed items and the bottom line is that the dealer can still refuse to do work under warranty. Sure you can pursue all sorts of avenues after the fact, but in the meantime if you have something to repair you just have to pay to fix it. After that you have to decide on how to struggle with making things happen based on The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act - whcih isnt very cut and dry (take this exerpt for instance - "However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided."). This can be costly and time consuming when the dealer simply insists the other part is to blame and you have to" attempt to independently verify the accuracy of the claims made by the dealership. "

By all means I am not saying that people shouldnt stand up for themselves, but its just not a simple or easy process. I have encountered a situation where they refuse to put anything in writing or handle the situation and the car owner is left in an untenable situation.

Those SEMA docs are probably worthwhile for some people but I have yet to hear from anyone who has actually gone through the trouble to have them enforced and ended up with a satisfactory solution. If you have (anyone out there) I would love to hear your story and how you did it.

I dont mean to dispute what you are saying Rob, but being involved with an unpleasant instance(s) of aftermarket non-warrantyitis has given me a POV I though was worth sharing...

·
homeless and unemployed
188 Posts
this is exactly the reason why i'm am so wary of buying the DDE kit... because if my xenons malfunction in anyway the dealer will blame it on me... i have had some engine problems and the dealer i went to had the nerve to blame it on my strut bar... these people can be really unreasonable.. i really wanted the DDE kit but dont believe its worth the hassle if things go wrong.. thats just my opinion though...

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
i did go to another dealer and got the same thing re the aftermarket parts

for what its worht, i do not think the DDEs will cause any problems. they just get power from an existing source and sit in the headlamp housing without interfering with the the xenons at all from what I understand. i'm getting them as well and think that issues with the xenons (caused by the DDEs or not) are unlikely

1 - 14 of 14 Posts