BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a young driver im not that experienced but I have driven a few cars and to me shift changing in the BMW is the most difficult to get used to. All my passengers lunge forward when I shift from 1st to 2nd if I dont very carefully release the clutch. Now from what Ive read its either the Guibo or CDV Valve or my sh*t driving :shhh: However does the E46 318i Have the CDV valve because according to some websites it doesn't exist on my car. Ive got the car on ramps at the moment looking at my Guibo and it looks fine I could be wrong though. Can you physically examine it from the outside ? Hopefully its not something to expensive to fix if there is something wrong I'm a really paranoid type of person and I just want to find out if i am being silly.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a photo of mine

Attachments

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
i beleave getting at it is the hardest part??? someone correct me if i am wrong..

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive also found my CDV valve so obviously mine does have it.

·
Just Road Miles
709 Posts
the Guibo is a just a big chunk of rubber with metal sleeves going through it for the bolts.The only way to check it is visually like you are doing.If it is going bad you will see stress cracks in the rubber.(Its kinda a pain to replace)On my old 325 i had to drop the exhaust(and of course the driveshaft) to get it off.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Not to flame by any means, but i would check your driving first...then the car...

For the longest time i thought there was something wrong with my car because some times when i shift from 1st to 2nd i would grind gears badly...

Had BMW check it out and there was nothing wrong, turns out it was my dumbass not driving right...

I was coming off the clutch too quick before i got it fully into 2nd...whoops!

So just work on it, i would believe that it is a driving problem, not the car...

·
Banned
401 Posts
If it is your flex disk try replacing it with the M3 version. the M3 flex disc is compatb with the non m3. they are of course better =)

also when installing the flex disk make sure the arrows are pointed in the right direction. if not, you will be in a world of hurt.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,624 Posts
If it is your flex disk try replacing it with the M3 version. the M3 flex disc is compatb with the non m3. they are of course better =)

also when installing the flex disk make sure the arrows are pointed in the right direction. if not, you will be in a world of hurt.
I don't think upgrading to the M3 guibo would do much on a 318.

To OP, your guibo would not be the cause, it would be the CDV causing the issues you have before the guibo. Guibo would be a clunk and vibration in driveline.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think its most likely my driving lol Im alot better now than I was when I got the car and I mean ALOT. I take no offence btw I know im a new driver :p

and just so I can check the CDV is supposed to be a clutch release system so you cant drop the clutch is that correct ? I mean say your in 2nd about to go to 3rd and instead of slowly releasing the clutch you just drop it the CDV will take over and slowly release it. Mine just drops and i hear a nice big thud I Did it once and never again LOL.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,624 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Time to rip that son outta there :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts