BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
you guys won't believe me when i tell you this.i must have i run of bad luck took care of the things that was wrong with my new car.

now i find out that my second master key not the little one. but the one that you get 2 of with the buttons on it . i been using one
key since i got the car all most 2 weeks now.

and fri. night i was call into work i grap the other key went to my
car and hit the button to open the door while a few young teenagers were looking.and so to be kool after i got no reaction from pressing the open button . so i put key in the lock and turn the key and guess what happen .

NO BODY WOULD BELIEVE FROM A 65,000 DOLLAR CAR

the alarm went off the key was dead i guess the battery in the key was never charged i felt so ashame having this happen to
a new m3

CAN I ASK VERY BODY THIS WHEN THEY PREP THE CAR DON'T THEY CHECK TO SEE ALL THE KEYS WORK

my dealer told me fri. have a nice xmas he is not going to believe this i don't believe this

CAN I ASK YOU GUYS WHO GOT THEIR NEW CARS THIS PAST MONTH CHECK ALL YOUR KEYS LET ME KNOW IF THEIR IS ANY
OTHER KEYS THAT WON'T WORK
bobm3 :dunno: :dunno:

·
Registered
168 Posts
could be the key just needs to be reprogrammed. i had this happen to my key and thought the battery ran out of juice. took it to the dealer and the service tech reprogrammed it right on the spot and it worked fine.

·
Registered
433 Posts
hmmm....

I was under the impression our stock keys charged their batteries every time it's in our ignitions???

That way you NEVER have to replace the battery.

Edit: I just read that it was your second key, so mybe it DID run out of juice if you've never used it? I have NEVER used my second key since I bought my car a year ago, so I'm pretty sure it's dead. (Guess I could use it for a while and maybe it would recharge?)

·
Big in Japan
1,373 Posts
I think the keys only have like a 2-3 week battery span, its pretty short; so like said, the battery died in it.

·
wah wah wah
2,765 Posts
just drive with ur dead key and it will recharge again and i think it lasts a month before it dies:dunno:

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys to answer your questions

i have my car just under 2 weeks and the dealer told me key as to be used 1 a year for charging
bobm3 :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
'a certain moderator'
38,139 Posts
i rarely drive with my second key, ,very rarely, and i think it will still open the car, i should check that out...

-brendan

·
Registered
217 Posts
Puzzling comment

If you press button to unlock the door, the driver door would unlock and the alarm would be disarmed. Now if the door is unlock what was the purpose of inserting the key into the lock cylinder?
:dunno:

I don't know if you are aware but to turn the alarm off, u have to press the unlock button on the key remote.

If the car is armed and u decide to unlock the car by inserting the key into the lock cylinder. Alarm WILL GO OFF.

·
Registered
644 Posts
mfspolo said:
just drive with ur dead key and it will recharge again and i think it lasts a month before it dies:dunno:
If it is completely dead it will no longer recharge. I know this from experience :banghead:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Re: Puzzling comment

oyster said:

I don't know if you are aware but to turn the alarm off, u have to press the unlock button on the key remote.

If the car is armed and u decide to unlock the car by inserting the key into the lock cylinder. Alarm WILL GO OFF.
Not true. Atleast on my car, I have locked and unlocked the car with the key in the door and it beeps as it arms and disarms the alarm. I can open the door no problem... Maybe I'm just special?:dunno: :thumbup:

·
Registered
393 Posts
I could very well be a dead battery in the key, BUT, I've been in areas around DC where the key just plain didn't work and had what happened to you take place.
See This Post

Nowhere else has it happened. Have you tried the "dead key someplace else since it didn't work ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts