E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I ordered my rings & carbon fiber backing for my 325ci 2001. I thought this install would be reletivaly easy. I was slightly off. I started by installing the CF backing first (not a problem). Then I "dry fit" the rings. Heres what my topic is about.......=/.

The rings wouldnt fit due to the inperfection of the carbon fiber cut out. I had to hand scrape the carbon fiber with a razor blade. All 4 circles took me about an hour. And 3 beers to cool my head. The cluster was all dirty with shavings, so I had to vacum / blow it out & removing my fingerprints at the same time.

The finished product looks nice, and I developed my own style of super gluing the rings in, that really eased the task.

Just thought I'd fill you in, incase you also purchased this combo.

I'll put a pic up later.

:burnout:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is gonna be hard to explain w/o pics, but I'll try:

1) After shaving down the carbon fiber, I dry fit the rings in.
2) Then get 1 zip tie, and wrap it around the flat part of the ring only.
3) Put enough pressure on the tie so the the ring can fall in and out of the proper place, by pulling on the zip tie. (You'll see it, when you try it - its wierd)
4) Let the rings drop down into the cluster. about 30 deg. while being held by the tie. Then apply the super glue onto the cluster, NOT THE RING!
5) you will see the glue start running along the wall where the ring must be fit. Start rotating the whole cluster upside down, so the glue spreads evenly. Spread the glue with the tip of the glue bottle. Once you rotate the whole cluster with the right amount of glue. Pull on the zip tie, and watch the ring "pull itself" into a perfect fit.
6) Put your fingers inside the cluster, and hold the ring in place, with some pressure. For about 2 min. Then cut the zip tie from the back.

Work one ring at a time. And be patient. (Beer worked for me.....lol)

If you have any questions, email me. [email protected]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts