BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to be my first winter with the GruppeM, and that got me thinking about the CF shield.

Winters here can easily hit -30 Celcius, and my car will be parked outside during the day (no underground heated parking lots on my campus).

My question is are there any risks of cracking, etc. to the carbon fiber shield when exposed to such low temperatures?

If not, then i'll get to enjoy frozen air being rammed into the engine :D

·
Help me Help you!
957 Posts
Asmodeus said:
This is going to be my first winter with the GruppeM, and that got me thinking about the CF shield.

Winters here can easily hit -30 Celcius, and my car will be parked outside during the day (no underground heated parking lots on my campus).

My question is are there any risks of cracking, etc. to the carbon fiber shield when exposed to such low temperatures?

If not, then i'll get to enjoy frozen air being rammed into the engine :D

i dont think u will have any problems with the cf shield since
pound for pound its stronger than steel.

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
12,988 Posts
i have that issue to

i got my gruppe m in jan of last year and my car is out side all the time. i live in new york and i did not even think about the gruppe freezing up. i admit my location is not as bad as your about geting as cold as it gets by you. but i think keeping the hood close and the c/f being so strong it should take your winters with no trouble. i think it was worth having the gruppe in your car.
bobm3 ;) ;)

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback guys. :)

I'm anxious to experience it at -20, -30

·
Help me Help you!
957 Posts
Asmodeus said:
Thanks for the feedback guys. :)

I'm anxious to experience it at -20, -30
Definitely,
that is the only good thing about the cold weather....
our engines luv it!
:thumbup:

·
ProjectTechnik
797 Posts
So far it's been -25 up here in Calgary with tons of snow. The Gruppe M seems to be holding up fine. The only thing that I'm concerned about is my suspensions :( Damn city should clean our roads better!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dalton said:
-30 celsius, ****, isnt that like -100 Farenheit, damn thats pretty cold huh?

lol not that cold ;)

For reference:

0C = 32 F

-30C = -22 F

I think that -52 C = -52 F not too sure on that last one though.

·
1.888.JLEVISW
14,626 Posts
I know that the cars put out more power when it's cold like that but I discovered that I don't like how the car feels when the suspension/tires are cold. Not to mention I am too cold to shift/steer quickly. And i'm only talkin about like 43 F temperatures... I know I know, I'm a california puss.

However, your GruppeM will withstand the cold as well as it withstands the intense heat of your engine bay.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Wouldn’t the intake gradually warm up along with the engine? The cold shouldn’t matter since it’s not like you are taking a freezing intake and subjecting it to instant heat. I don’t see why you’d have any problems with the cold temperatures, but maybe I’m missing something.

·
Registered
5 Posts
actually....

-48F would be:

(-48 - 32) / 1.8

which is -44C roughly......

the only temp that is same Celcius and Fahrenheith is:

-40F

(-40 - 32) / 1.8 = -40 :thumbup:

Louie Rendek
2003 orient blue 325Ci