BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright there? Anyhow, was just wondering if any of u had installed a GruppeM in conjunction with an M-tech front. Cos it seems that u need to cut a hole in the normal front apron to get max air-flow to the CAI; so i wanna know if u need to do the same for the M-tech, and if so, where.
Cheers all.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dun mean to be doubting u, but then why are people cutting up their front aprons and reporting "increased gains"? Purely psychological?

and

on the same (GruppeM) note, anyone think of replacing the K&N with one of those fancy stainless steel Blitz conical filters?
(no oil, etc, etc...)

·
Alpine White
841 Posts
I'm sure that if you have the M-tecnik front bumper, you can get air to your Gruppe M through the hole next to the foglight. And actually, you don't cut any part of the bumper. You only cut out a hole on the bumper grille.

If you install the Gruppe M by itself, you can notice some significant gains, but with the opening on the grille, there is a lot more cold air flowing onto the filter.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
right, right.

any ideas how to do the redirecting of air from brake duct to gruppe m???

was kinda "inspired" by the CLS(CSL?) pics... the one big hole on the front apron?
cos the CLS has (on the pics i've seen anyway- could be a proto-type) an intake very very similar to the e46 gruppeM intake.

·
Alpine White
841 Posts
When I bought my Gruppe M from Renn Sport, Samir told me to just take off the brake duct, but I decided that I wanted to keep the brake duct intact. So I cut a hole on the grille. But you can remove the brake duct and use some pipe to redirect the air to your Gruppe M.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No one's thought bout the BLITZ filter alternative?
there's no need for oiling (unlike K&N)- could potentially save ur MAF and god-knows-what-else in the long run...
(this is just me being paranoid)

·
Alpine White
841 Posts
I'm not sure if the Blitz one will fit. But there's nothing wrong with the K&N. I've had a K&N on my previous car for 4 years, and it never caused any problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts