BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you take out the stock airbox?? or remove the kidney vent??

I couldn't get through step ten in Samir's DIY instructions

somebody please help....I had my GruppeM intake for about two weeks now and still not able to install the damn thing yet:mad::mad::mad:

·
Nymphomaniac
300 Posts
Yup, once you get the screws out, u will need to put a little force to get the air box out. The vent right by the headlights is a little hard to get out.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the screws out....but then I don't want to break anything by using too much force....what direction should I pull?or what should I grab to pull the air box out??

thanks for the replies

·
Nymphomaniac
300 Posts
You will need to move the MAF and there is a hose connected to the back of the OEM airbox. Then pull the airbox towards the engine bay away from the headlights. That worked for me.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tquach said:
You will need to move the MAF and there is a hose connected to the back of the OEM airbox. Then pull the airbox towards the engine bay away from the headlights. That worked for me.
what is the MAF?:huh: the hose is the big tube??
so pull the airbox towards the driver seat basically?
would I need to unclip the 5 clips that holds the airbox together?
It seems like there is no space around th airbox and it seems like the airbox is mounted onto something really tight....
Does nayone have pictures so it is clearer for me to understand how to pull this thing out??...I'm gettin really frustrated....:mad::banghead::mad::banghead::mad:

·
yuppie racing
1,899 Posts
personally I found it easier to remove the airbox by first unclipping it and taking the top off, that way it was easier to see around it, The Mass Air Flow sensor is at the end of the big tube which is stuck to your airbox, it's what youre going to stick your new intake to.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ok, basically, you have the stock airbox which is connected in three ways.

1) To the MAF
2) To the kidney vent
3) By 2 nut bolts.

If you look on the kidney vent, you will see two clips on each side of it where it connects to the airbox. You have to depress the clips to detach the vent.

Once you get the kidney vent and the bolts off, it pretty much just pulls off of the MAF. Pull out (away from the front of the car).

That's pretty much it.

·
moderation in all things
898 Posts
tricxe46 said:

what is the MAF?:huh: the hose is the big tube??
so pull the airbox towards the driver seat basically?
would I need to unclip the 5 clips that holds the airbox together?
It seems like there is no space around th airbox and it seems like the airbox is mounted onto something really tight....
Does nayone have pictures so it is clearer for me to understand how to pull this thing out??...I'm gettin really frustrated....:mad::banghead::mad::banghead::mad:
yes, unclip the 5 clips...

http://www.e46fanatics.com/howto/howtodetail.php?howto_id=10

1 - 12 of 12 Posts