BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently thinking about getting a Dinan...now I'm really interested in getting the Gruppe M short Ram, what do you guys think, thanks.

·
Mod Squad
12,623 Posts
I think there's TONS of information to be found on this site. Try a simple search and you'll have more results than you can shake a stick at. ;)

·
Registered
162 Posts
the general concensus is that the gruppe m will actually make you lose a little power due to the small filter/placement, but it definitly looks/sounds nice. Which Dinan intake are you asking about the old tube and filter one, or the new replacement airbox design?

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Russ is right...but just for kicks and a quick glance at it all, most intakes are almost the same for e46 bimmers; meaning there won't be much gain usually. Soooo it really all comes down to pricing, your budget, sound, and look of the intake that you choose :thanks: good luck!
I personally have a GruppeM replica CF intake. I like the sound, but I don't know if it gets any performance gain at all. I heard rumors that it could actually be worse than stock intake :eeps: oh well...sound does it for me :p

·
Mod Squad
12,623 Posts
the general concensus is that the gruppe m will actually make you lose a little power due to the small filter/placement, but it definitly looks/sounds nice. Which Dinan intake are you asking about the old tube and filter one, or the new replacement airbox design?
The consensus amongst whom? A select group of vocal members?

Anyway since I've posted again I will add that I would not buy any intake that relocates the filter element down by the front bumper (i.e. long tube type). Having the intake down there makes me a bit nervous and opens your car up to the possibility of hydro locking the engine in sever weather.

Edit - assuming you were going to get one of the older style Dinan intakes.

·
Mod Squad
12,623 Posts
^Yes, yes, a dyno. Everyone knows that dynos can very slightly day to day, temp to temp, dyno location to dyno location. When we're talking minute horsepower gains/losses (i.e. 5-10 hp) from an intake it is by far not beyond the realm of likely hood that the power differences seen were due to dyno variances.

So I'll go ahead and take that "proof" with a grain of salt, as I will also take with a grain of salt the "anti-Gruppe groupies" that will certainly make an appearance in this thread at some point and spread their "knowledge."

PS - If it's the new Dinan intake I'd probably go with that one between the two, mostly because you could get the matching Dinan software.

·
Registered
162 Posts
^Yes, yes, a dyno. Everyone knows that dynos can very slightly day to day, temp to temp, dyno location to dyno location. When we're talking minute horsepower gains/losses (i.e. 5-10 hp) from an intake it is by far not beyond the realm of likely hood that the power differences seen were due to dyno variances.

So I'll go ahead and take that "proof" with a grain of salt, as I will also take with a grain of salt the "anti-Gruppe groupies" that will certainly make an appearance in this thread at some point and spread their "knowledge."

PS - If it's the new Dinan intake I'd probably go with that one between the two, mostly because you could get the matching Dinan software.
Well, the "gruppe groupies" are already in here apparently...if ur not going to believe a dyno, what are u going to believe? the design of the gruppe m is not that great. the probability of hydrolocking from a tube/filter design, especially with a water sock isnt that high...everyone talks about hydrolock, but it almost never happens. i think the new Dinan is nice, it basically improves on the OEM airbox.

·
Mod Squad
12,623 Posts
Well, the "gruppe groupies" are already in here apparently...if ur not going to believe a dyno, what are u going to believe?
Defensive aren't we? Am I to apologize for disagreeing with you?

When even big name tuner companies (i.e. UUC) don't hold any weight towards dynos done on different days/conditions then their word on the matter is going to hold more weight. Sorry.

the design of the gruppe m is not that great. the probability of hydrolocking from a tube/filter design, especially with a water sock isnt that high...everyone talks about hydrolock, but it almost never happens.
I've heard more than a handful of stories on this forum where it HAS happened. I've also driven a car that had the intake mounted down by the bumper and the feeling of paranoia at every heavy down pour was not fun.

Hydro lock is simple to avoid if one simply opts for an intake that doesn't relocate the filter element.

i think the new Dinan is nice, it basically improves on the OEM airbox.

HA!!! So we found something to agree on. :yikes:

Anyway I'll simply add "Gruppe M" to my list of topics that I won't chime in on anymore, it's not worth the effort.

/Unsubscribe... I'm done.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts

yes. dyno numbers can go up and down depending on condition. but what other ways are there to show proof of hp other than dyno?? :dunno:

btw, i'm not anti-gruppe groupies. i'm just giving my opinion/what i heard and saw on gruppe m since OP asked it.

·
Banned
4,091 Posts
GruppeM is not a performance intake. Take a look at the design, where is it getting cold air from? IMO (and I'm biased), there is no good reason to buy an intake that will not take advantage of supplying denser air to the engine. There are many good short ram intakes out there (Conforti and ECIS being the best IMO), but GruppeM is not one of them.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I love my gruppe m intake sounds great, I put it on with uuc pulleys and uuc tse3 at the same time and this combo made a big difference that I can feel and hear.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
lol Really I do feel a difference from stock I mean its not like there is a supercharger in my engine bay but my car does seem a little more fun to drive and the sound is great but for the money I spent I should have put headers first for more of a gain.:banghead:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
tony, i was lookin at the old tube for the dinan, but now I'm more interested in a short ram/ air box replacement

1 - 16 of 16 Posts