E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
cvx5832, I just wanted to thank you for posting your solution. My 2002 330ci just had a fuel pump failure at 235,000 miles with the exact symptoms you described. Your post helped me to fix the problem with certainty that the problem was the fuel pump.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Some more details about my fuel pump failure-

Before the hard failure of my fuel pump, about 3 weeks ago, my car started to misfire badly. I shutoff the engine, waited about ten minutes and restarted and it ran fine. I checked for codes and there where some misfires and that's it.

Ran fine for a couple of weeks. I noticed a little rough idle when first starting in the morning which I was attributing to the unusually cold weather. Then I started hearing a "foghorn" noise under my feet where the fuel filter resides. It's the growl that cvx5832 described. My fuel pump was also making more noise than I remember. Just recently, my "service engine soon light" came on. The codes were fuel trim banks 1 and 2, permissible range exceeded. But the car ran fine.

Then right before the hard failure it started misfiring badly again. I parked, went shopping and when I came back the car would not start. There was no noise coming from the fuel pump. It was dead.

The good news is that the replacement took about 45 minutes and now all is running well. I think better than ever.

The "foghorn" sound was very puzzling to me at first. I'm thinking it has to do with the fuel regulator not receiving enough pressure or enough constant pressure when the fuel pump is soft failing that causes the regulator diaphragm to vibrate loudly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.