E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Group Buy: E46 Touring Low Profile License Plate Frame

33K views 258 replies 66 participants last post by  ///Mark_D 
#1 · (Edited)
As mentioned in my touring thread here: Mark's S54 Touring Build

I've designed a low profile license plate frame and mounting bracket to allow a North American size license plate to better fit the contours of the E46 Touring rear hatch. The OEM plastic bracket causes the plate to hang below the recessed area on the tailgate and does not allow for most aftermarket license plate frames to fit.

The new design moves the plate upward so that it fits within the recess on the hatch for a cleaner look. Before and after below:
Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Automotive lighting

This design is made up of a mounting bracket and outer frame. A layer of adhesive closed cell foam is applied to the bracket on the inner side to provide a cushion against the painted surface of the hatch. A layer of the same foam is also applied to the outer side of the mounting bracket to compress between the license plate and bracket for a secure and rattle free fit.

There has been interest in doing a run of these parts for other touring owners, so I'm looking at online laser cutting services to find an economical solution. The prototype I built was made from stainless steel and was prohibitively expensive for what most would be willing to pay for a license plate frame. The sets for this group buy would be made from 3/16" thick 6061 T6 Aluminum.

UPDATE: I can offer kits for $75 including shipping anywhere in the continental US via USPS flat rate padded envelope. (Pricing updated 2/7/22 to reflect increase in materials cost)

Each Kit includes:
1x Aluminum Mounting Bracket (Painted SEM Trim Black with foam layers applied)
1x Aluminum License Plate Frame (Painted SEM Trim Black)
2x Mounting Bracket Screws (Low Profile Button Head Cap Screws, Stainless Steel)
4x Frame Screws (Flat Head Cap Screws, Black Oxide Stainless Steel)
Printed Instructions
Printed 1:1 paper template for license plate trimming

Installation requires:
-Using the license plate frame and paper template to mark your license plate for trimming.
-Trimming your license plate using metal shears, sanding disc, or some other method of your choosing.
-3/32" hex key for the two mounting bracket screws
-1/8" hex key for the four frame mounting screws

If you are interested in purchasing a kit, please reply to this thread. If you prefer to do your own painting and would like to receive the parts raw and without the foam pre-applied to the bracket, please specify in your reply.

Here are a few additional photos of the painted prototype / final installation on my own car.

UPDATE:
PDF Installation instructions attached.

Attachments

See less See more
#32 ·
Hey Ted,

You’re right, most states focus on legibility (of the main letters and numbers), mounting, visibility of stickers, not being so dirty, etc. Some states also specifically don’t allow frames that cover the main letters and numbers.

Ex: In PA, my plate frame covers up the whole bottom area underneath the main text where is says “PENNSYLVANIA”. It’s a frame, that covers text. Troopers and local PD alike don’t care here.

This frame makes the plate much more visible, numbers, letters, stickers and all. This also looks like it will be twice as sturdy compared to OEM.

I trust it. But if you’re in one of those states or towns that hate car people, be careful. That’s where the probable cause will be a pain. Hopefully the police only gawk at how clean it looks!

The wagons are the least suspicious of the e46s. Haha

Not too moot Ted! Im sure a lot of us were thinking this too.

#35 ·
I have a friend who drives his VR6 mk2 Jetta around PA on a Euro plate that's colored like a PA plate and has his actual PA registration number on it and he doesn't really get hassled. Dark smoked cover? That will get you hassled. His is clear and legible with the correct info. Granted it comes down to encountering the wrong cop on the wrong day, or not.

#36 ·
For those living in a state that requires front and back plates, worse comes to worst, if hassled one can always switch the plates. Though technically possible, it seems implausible that displaying an altered front plate will get one in trouble with the gendarmerie . . . but as has been noted already if they're having a bad day . . . all bets are off.

#37 ·
As far as the plate modifications go, when I was figuring out how much I could trim I used a standard license plate frame as a guide. The design I came up has just slightly less of the actual plate visible as a normal license plate frame. The frame itself is much narrower so what you're really losing is the thick edge around the plate. Here's the standard $15 autozone frame on my sedan for comparison.

Order update: I just got an email letting me know the laser cut parts are now in production so they should be shipping to me in the next few days.

#39 ·
My dad had a similar experience with his camaro when I was teenager growing up. He wasn't running a front plate since it was an IL car and didn't come with a front bracket. He was going a few too many miles over the speed limit and when he got pulled over the cop tacked on the missing front plate with the speeding ticket. After he installed the front plate that part of the fine was dropped.

Here's the updated list for the buy in, sweet jones mentioned a few posts back he wanted one of the extras, so there is only one extra remaining.

1. sweet jones
2. tbouchard991
3. Geo31
4. navi243
5. yjsaabman
6. Chaplian
7. Stigissimo
8. teght
9. Tockumpockum
10. vivg91
11. Archbid
12. JCL325iT
13. t3ddftw
14. Dave
15. David325is
16. 72Touring
17. George Hill
18. vatc5637
19. sweet jones
20. Available Extra

#42 ·
#48 ·
OK cool, I've got you down.

Progress on the aluminum parts continues and all the countersinking is done. The next part is the most labor intensive which involves sanding all the razor sharp edges to add a smooth and even edge radius. I've got about half of the frames done so far. After that it's just a wipe down with wax and grease remover, paint, and the parts will be ready to ship.

#49 ·
Update:

I've got more of the frames and brackets sanded / smoothed and ready to go. The weather is looking nice this weekend so I should be able to paint. I also printed off instructions to include with each kit and individually packaged sets of installation hardware.

USPS still hasn't shipped the flat rate padded envelopes I ordered back on April 4th, but I've got some standard padded ones from Amazon that I could use instead if they don't show up in time. The flat rate bubble padded envelopes used to be available at the post office but they are now online ship only.

#53 · (Edited)
The weather was nice enough today to get all the brackets painted black. I set up a makeshift drying rack to hold the parts between coats.

We are supposed to get more rain the next couple of days so it will probably be Thursday before I can paint all the frames. In the mean time I can get the foam cut and installed on the brackets.

#54 ·
I joined the forums only days too late it seems. If there is ever a 2nd round or anyone decides to back out I would love one. I have always had to notch my e30 plates in order to fit the plate filler slot due to plate OCD. Yours is a very elegant solution to what should never have been a problem, good work!

#56 · (Edited)
Welcome to the board and thanks for the positive feedback on the license plate frames. I'll probably be doing a second run at some point since it seems like there are more people interested. With the setup fees and price per piece being higher at low quantities it really only starts to make sense to order at around 5+ sets. I don't have a problem doing a 5-10 piece run and keeping the extra sets on hand.

I’ve also just acquired my wagon less than a week ago, looks great! Now I can’t “unsee” that area lol
Thanks, welcome to you as well. If you want to get in on the second order let me know for sure and I can get another list going.

This post has been deleted
#59 · (Edited)
Attached is a PDF version of the instructions that will be included with each license plate frame kit. A hard copy of these instructions will be in the package as well as a 1:1 scale paper template for help with trimming your existing license plate. The template is printed is on an large sheet of paper and shows the size of a correctly trimmed plate so you can lay yours on top and compare size. In the instructions I recommend using the metal frame to mark the plate first, and then use the paper template as a final check after trimming and to refine the final shape of the plate.

Everyone who is in on the group buy, please take a look and let me know if you have any questions. It's pretty straightforward since it's just a license plate frame but I thought some basic instructions would be helpful.

I've finished up installing the foam on all the brackets and the final step is painting the frames black. I should be ready to start shipping kits at the end of the week or early next depending on how the weather cooperates for painting.

EDIT: Instructions updated 2/11/22

Attachments

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.