BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Did I read the instructions right, that after the purchase there is still modifying that needs to be done?

·
Ironman
01 330iT 6MT, 98 M Roadster
5,058 Posts
Did I read the instructions right, that after the purchase there is still modifying that needs to be done?
Yes, but that is the entire point. The US license plates hang down below the mounting area on the hatch. Looks like you have to trim 1/4" or less from both the top and bottom to make this work. The nice thing is, someone would have to be really sharp to realize you did it. The trimming would be very subtle to the folks who may want to generate revenue for you doing so, yet the effect is major in the looks of the rear of the car.

Reactions: ///Mark_D

·
Registered
'04 325i, '02 325iT
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Updated list below adding the people from today getting in on the group buy. If I'm missing anyone please let me know.

It looks like I'll be increasing the order to 20 sets so I've got a few extra on hand for people in the future. Unless I get a flood of additional interest that would make me want to wait longer, I'm planning on placing the order for the laser cut parts by the end of the day tomorrow.

1. sweet jones
2. tbouchard991
3. Geo31
4. navi243
5. yjsaabman
6. Chaplian
7. Stigissimo
8. teght
9. Tockumpockum
10. vivg91
11. Archbid
12. JCL325iT
13. t3ddftw
14. Dave
15. David325is

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
It's really awesome to see this level of interest. Thanks again everyone for making the group buy possible.

I'll let this run a little bit longer before I place the order. So far it's looking like 15 should cover it for everyone signed up so far and a few last minute additions. I'll keep you updated when they are on the way. I've ordered some extra foam tape and hardware already so I'll be ready to assemble when the laser cut parts arrive.

1. sweet jones
2. tbouchard991
3. Geo31
4. navi243
5. yjsaabman
6. Chaplian
7. Stigissimo
8. teght
9. Tockumpockum
10. vivg91
11. Archbid

Count me in also.
These look cool.

·
Registered
'04 325i, '02 325iT
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Here's the final list for the group buy. The sheet metal parts were just ordered and are expected to ship to me on or before April 15th. I'll post an update when they arrive.

From there it should take me another week or so to finish off the parts and get the kits ready to ship. Thanks again everyone for supporting the project.

1. sweet jones
2. tbouchard991
3. Geo31
4. navi243
5. yjsaabman
6. Chaplian
7. Stigissimo
8. teght
9. Tockumpockum
10. vivg91
11. Archbid
12. JCL325iT
13. t3ddftw
14. Dave
15. David325is
16. 72Touring
17. George Hill
18. Available Extra
19. Available Extra
20. Available Extra

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here's the final list for the group buy. The sheet metal parts were just ordered and are expected to ship to me on or before April 15th. I'll post an update when they arrive.

From there it should take me another week or so to finish off the parts and get the kits ready to ship. Thanks again everyone for supporting the project.

1. sweet jones
2. tbouchard991
3. Geo31
4. navi243
5. yjsaabman
6. Chaplian
7. Stigissimo
8. teght
9. Tockumpockum
10. vivg91
11. Archbid
12. JCL325iT
13. t3ddftw
14. Dave
15. David325is
16. 72Touring
17. George Hill
18. Available Extra
19. Available Extra
20. Available Extra
I will take one of the extras.

·
Registered
'04 325i, '02 325iT
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I will take one of the extras.
OK cool, I've got you down. Two extras remaining then.

1. sweet jones
2. tbouchard991
3. Geo31
4. navi243
5. yjsaabman
6. Chaplian
7. Stigissimo
8. teght
9. Tockumpockum
10. vivg91
11. Archbid
12. JCL325iT
13. t3ddftw
14. Dave
15. David325is
16. 72Touring
17. George Hill
18. vatc5637
19. Available Extra
20. Available Extra

Also, once the parts are actually ready to ship I'll send out PM's requesting shipping addresses and payment info. I prefer paypal but if you want to use some other method let me know.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Kind of a moot point because I don't think that any cop would ever notice, but does anyone know how most states define "mutilation" of a plate? It seems they are targeting folks who specifically make the plate harder to read, but I also don't like the idea of driving around with probable cause. Still in though, lol.

-Ted

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Ted,

You’re right, most states focus on legibility (of the main letters and numbers), mounting, visibility of stickers, not being so dirty, etc. Some states also specifically don’t allow frames that cover the main letters and numbers.

Ex: In PA, my plate frame covers up the whole bottom area underneath the main text where is says “PENNSYLVANIA”. It’s a frame, that covers text. Troopers and local PD alike don’t care here.

This frame makes the plate much more visible, numbers, letters, stickers and all. This also looks like it will be twice as sturdy compared to OEM.

I trust it. But if you’re in one of those states or towns that hate car people, be careful. That’s where the probable cause will be a pain. Hopefully the police only gawk at how clean it looks!

The wagons are the least suspicious of the e46s. Haha

Not too moot Ted! Im sure a lot of us were thinking this too.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sign me up for a second one please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ///Mark_D

·
Registered
691 Posts
Kind of a moot point because I don't think that any cop would ever notice, but does anyone know how most states define "mutilation" of a plate? It seems they are targeting folks who specifically make the plate harder to read, but I also don't like the idea of driving around with probable cause. Still in though, lol.

-Ted
Likely illegal in Texas, but....

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Hey Ted,

You’re right, most states focus on legibility (of the main letters and numbers), mounting, visibility of stickers, not being so dirty, etc. Some states also specifically don’t allow frames that cover the main letters and numbers.

Ex: In PA, my plate frame covers up the whole bottom area underneath the main text where is says “PENNSYLVANIA”. It’s a frame, that covers text. Troopers and local PD alike don’t care here.

This frame makes the plate much more visible, numbers, letters, stickers and all. This also looks like it will be twice as sturdy compared to OEM.

I trust it. But if you’re in one of those states or towns that hate car people, be careful. That’s where the probable cause will be a pain. Hopefully the police only gawk at how clean it looks!

The wagons are the least suspicious of the e46s. Haha

Not too moot Ted! Im sure a lot of us were thinking this too.
I have a friend who drives his VR6 mk2 Jetta around PA on a Euro plate that's colored like a PA plate and has his actual PA registration number on it and he doesn't really get hassled. Dark smoked cover? That will get you hassled. His is clear and legible with the correct info. Granted it comes down to encountering the wrong cop on the wrong day, or not.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

21 - 36 of 36 Posts