BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
M3
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So since I couldn't find anything on the forum about ground control coilovers I wanted to open it up to some of you from personal experience. I'm deciding between KW V1's and Ground Control Street system. Price difference ends up being about 200 bucks more for V1 after an installation kit with mounts/hardware/etc. (Ground Control gives you everything to you need bolt them right up out of the box)

Has anyone used Ground Control? I know plenty of people have used KW so I am more or less looking for some insight from users of ground control systems!

Thanks

·
Registered
M3
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which one do you guys think will hold up better? I know KW is stainless steel. not sure about Koni's though. (Im in Ohio for the time being) Hoping to go to school in central Florida here in a year.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
lots of the M3 guys use ground control with great results.
kw v1's are great as well but you get all the hardware with GC. the camber plates the GC includes should sway you immediately.

·
Registered
8,016 Posts

·
/// Limitless
3,506 Posts
I'm running the GC system and since I've posted several times about my experience working through the installation you didn't search.

They're both good systems. I also considered the KW against the GC. I chose the GC system because I could change the strut out if one of them went flat and because the springs are single rate springs with a lot of choice on rate setup since GC has a partnership with Eibach. I would recommend that if you choose to go with GC that you purchase the Koni/GC setup because the travel on the strut is altered to reduce the chance of the piston bottoming out along with the placement of the tab on the side. Additionally I put a Vorshlag camber plate system in for my top perch. This is completely race ready now. Which is a level up from the KW system, although more expensive at this point.

For most I think the KW system is probably easier to live with because of the progressive rate springs but it's also why I chose the GC system. If you intend the track the car, definitely go with GC as the spring selection allows you to change the setup based on the type of racing and the track. If you're just looking to drop the car for the looks you're probably better off with the KW system.

·
Registered
M3
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should say that I will not be tracking my car...my 328 is slow. I am looking to just lower the car.

Rob, although the I understand you essentially get what you pay for, do you think it's necessary to spend that much for street use coil overs? I'm leaning towards GC because I think they can accomplish what I need, street use. On the other hand I like that you see people putting KW products on a lot of really nice cars still, where as there is little info out there regarding ground control compared to KW's long lasted reputation.

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
I should say that I will not be tracking my car...my 328 is slow. I am looking to just lower the car.

Rob, although the I understand you essentially get what you pay for, do you think it's necessary to spend that much for street use coil overs? I'm leaning towards GC because I think they can accomplish what I need, street use. On the other hand I like that you see people putting KW products on a lot of really nice cars still, where as there is little info out there regarding ground control compared to KW's long lasted reputation.
I figured this was a "handling/track" conversation, since this is just for looks you don't need to spend a boat load of cash. Then the questions becomes Why even spend the ~$1600 ish dollars on the full GC setup ? You don't need the camber plates that come with that kit, they alone cost a lot. Some thoughts:

1) Why not just get some H&R Race springs or Eibach Sportline springs & a set of Koni Sports which are currently on sale. Certainly the springs are preset, but they do give a Very good drop. The strut/shocks are fully adjustable, so you could dial them in to what suits you.

2) OR go with #1 on my list, that would give you Both the adjustable springs & strut/shocks for roughly $1K. Plus you can pick the spring rate of your choosing to match your driving style, GC will help you with that.

Rob43

·
Registered
M3
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I figured this was a "handling/track" conversation, since this is just for looks you don't need to spend a boat load of cash. Then the questions becomes Why even spend the ~$1600 ish dollars on the full GC setup ? You don't need the camber plates that come with that kit, they alone cost a lot. Some thoughts:

1) Why not just get some H&R Race springs or Eibach Sportline springs & a set of Koni Sports which are currently on sale. Certainly the springs are preset, but they do give a Very good drop. The strut/shocks are fully adjustable, so you could dial them in to what suits you.

2) OR go with #1 on my list, that would give you Both the adjustable springs & strut/shocks for roughly $1K. Plus you can pick the spring rate of your choosing to match your driving style, GC will help you with that.

Rob43

Some race springs and koni yellows is probably the best move at the end of the day...Although 400 more dollars to be adjustable + camber plates, for flexibility in the future doesn't sound bad. Still just Koni/Eibach.

Let's talk tire size then. I'm running 18x8 225/40 35 et in front and 265/35 18x9.5 45 et in the rear. Am I going to be looking at rubbing issues without fender modification?

Also, these installation kits are about 140 dollars in difference. I'm all for genuine everything but I know some of these brands aren't bad. Thoughts on this kit assembled by ECS?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
Some race springs and koni yellows is probably the best move at the end of the day...Although 400 more dollars to be adjustable + camber plates, for flexibility in the future doesn't sound bad. Still just Koni/Eibach. You'll need to decide, both are good options. The Koni / H&R Race or Sportline combo comes out to about $825, I'm not sure how you'd get the other option including camber plates for $400 more.

Let's talk tire size then. I'm running 18x8 225/40 35 et in front and 265/35 18x9.5 45 et in the rear. Am I going to be looking at rubbing issues without fender modification? I run 17's, you'll need to discuss this aspect with guys that run 18's.

Also, these installation kits are about 140 dollars in difference. I'm all for genuine everything but I know some of these brands aren't bad. Thoughts on this kit assembled by ECS?
The ECS kit looks fine to me, you might be able to save more if you buy just what you need from them. Not everything that comes with that kit will be needed, certainly some parts can be reused.

Concerning the H&R Race springs: You'll automatically get about 1.9 Neg. front camber & about 2.2 Neg. rear camber. If you ever wanted to Plus or minus these numbers, I have a European source on front Camber Plates & rear Camber Arms at roughly $165 each.

Last: If you do get the regular Koni Sports, do yourself a favor & buy the bigger & beefier (E36 M3) 8240-1115SPORT for $7 (Tire Rack) dollars more. You'd send me case of beer if you realized how great this single suggestion was....

Rob43

·
Registered
M3
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The ECS kit looks fine to me, you might be able to save more if you buy just what you need from them. Not everything that comes with that kit will be needed, certainly some parts can be reused.

Concerning the H&R Race springs: You'll automatically get about 1.9 Neg. front camber & about 2.2 Neg. rear camber. If you ever wanted to Plus or minus these numbers, I have a European source on front Camber Plates & rear Camber Arms at roughly $165 each.

Last: If you do get the regular Koni Sports, do yourself a favor & buy the bigger & beefier (E36 M3) 8240-1115SPORT for $7 (Tire Rack) dollars more. You'd send me case of beer if you realized how great this single suggestion was....

Rob43
For the regular Koni Sports, do you mean front and rears? I thought I'd only seen people use the rears but I don't know anything.I'm leaning towards this option for the cheaper price for right now.

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
Fronts: 8741-1390LSPORT (L&R)

Rears: 8240-1115SPORT

Forum Sponsor Tire Rack, $602

Rob43

·
Registered
M3
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Fronts: 8741-1390LSPORT (L&R)

Rears: 8240-1115SPORT

Forum Sponsor Tire Rack, $602

Rob43
Not gonna lie Tire Rack's website is quite hard to navigate in my opinion. Having trouble pin pointing the exact ones I need on there...

Thanks for the help.

edit: i got it haha but im sort of confused on how this fits on our cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
Realize that's a "Stock" photo, meaning not the correct one....

Here's what it Actually looks like:
http://www.ecstuning.com/ES1905552/

Amazon pricing is the best at $578 shipped on all 4 Koni's, but if you went with the GC coilover conversion kit for $429 "Dustin" at GC might shave a few more dollars off everything (koni's & Coils) to get you done & sold. So maybe a few pennies under $1K.

Rob43

·
Registered
M3
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Awesome thanks for looking into that. Do I need new bumpstops/dust tubes for front and rear with the Koni shocks?

So you're saying ground control could build a set of regular Koni yellows with their coil over conversion kit making it adjustable? This would also include all the spring pads and stuff according to the pictures i'm seeing.

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
Awesome thanks for looking into that. Do I need new bumpstops/dust tubes for front and rear with the Koni shocks?

So you're saying ground control could build a set of regular Koni yellows with their coil over conversion kit making it adjustable? This would also include all the spring pads and stuff according to the pictures i'm seeing.
Why not call Dustin at GC tomorrow & ask what he can do based on those part numbers & your new found knowledge. The ~$1K price probably would only get you what you currently see,....the GC Kit & 4 Koni's.

Rob43

·
Registered
105 Posts
I ran ST (KW V1) Coilovers when my car was daily driven and they were great. If you don't mind a used set, I'm selling mine (low mileage) which were upgraded with Vorshlag camber plates and TMS rear mounts. I would not recommend them for track use as they're a bit soft.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts