E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
/// Limitless
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've searched and found some threads talking about installing Koni coilovers, Not the coilover KIT, at Bimmerforums. There are some similarities but these are a lot different.

I now have the Koni's! I understand my problems now! I NEED ASSISTANCE!!!

The GC kit doesn't have instructions. Is this normal? Has anyone done this install? I've got Koni yellows on the way. I have some basic questions:
  • There are short springs and longer springs. Do the longer ones go in the front or rear?
  • Do the adjusters on the rear go on the top or bottom of the spring.
  • There is a weird black tear-dropped shaped plate with a big hole in it. Is this a perch reinforcement for the top of the front strut?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Ummm well just by looking at your stock setup you can eliminate 2 out of 3 of your questions... As for the 3rd, yes that is the strut mount, and a simple google image search could of solved that...

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
generally longer ones are up front. There should be adjusters in the front and in the back, and generally go on the bottom. not sure about the black tear drop thing, is there just one? or two? but I would call GC and ask they email you instructions. should come with some paperwork. The Konis are a good choice, and the combination is full of win.

·
Registered
100 Posts
ok, the skinny,longer springs should go on the front strur, they will fit in perfectly. the rear has a perch that sets under the spring. and yes that one piece is the strut mount

·
/// Limitless
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ummm well just by looking at your stock setup you can eliminate 2 out of 3 of your questions... As for the 3rd, yes that is the strut mount, and a simple google image search could of solved that...
Thanks for your assistance... As for the image search show me because I've been looking for two days. I've not found the kit install on an e46 non-m. I have found the GC coilover install that comes with camber plates on an e39 with a very different rear setup. The kit is very different.

On GC's site it also indicates that when using Koni's, additional modification is required for the strut, yet it doesn't tell you what is necessary. I know I need to knock the lower perch off the shock. You do on all of them. So what additional work is needed on a Koni?

·
/// Limitless
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok, so far I believe this is true:

• Longer springs go on front - 430 lbs
  • Shorter spings go on back - 375 lbs
  • Adjuster on back goes under the spring
  • The tear-drop shaped metal pieces must be for upper perch reenforcement
What needs to be done to the koni's besides knocking off the lower perch so that the adjustable sleeve fits over the shock? (GC's site says additional work required on Koni's).

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Sell them to me, I'll figure it out and post the results.

·
/// Limitless
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have koni yellows and there is no extra modification needed. Does GC say it IS needed or MAY be needed?
It says "Standard Koni (may need add'l work)", which is somewhat of a vague statment. Are you running a GC kit?

·
/// Limitless
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I received the Koni's in the mail today. Nice solid shock.

I now understand why the GC site says "may need add'l work". First off, and it's pretty evident, you have to know the lower perch off the shock. Once you do that you can fit the coilover sleeve over the shock for a test fit... Guess what, on Koni's the tab that is welded to the side of the shock stops the sleev from fully sitting on the shock. Fortunately on the Koni shocks the tab is a full length weld on the bottom and the top of the tab, unlike some of the less expensive Chinese coilover's I've seen recently. The disturbing part is that I'm going to have to grind about half of the tab's top-support tang off in order to fully seat the sleeve.

That's how I see it anyway. Let me know if I'm off base or if I have it right.

^ Koni front strut - with and without the GC sleeve

^ GC sleeve - closeup - trying to show the gap since the sleeve is kept from fully seating

Let me know what my options are - PLEASE.

Attachments

·
/// Limitless
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
your doing it right? whats the problem?
The problem is that the sleeve doesn't fully seat on the shock body. There is about a 1/2" or slightly more gap between the top of the shock body and the inside top of the sleeve. It looks like I'll have to grind down the top tang of the tab that is welded to the body in order to seat the sleeve properly...

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
on the e30's your supposed to rewend the spring perches, but thats totally different design than then the e46. I would call GC before I start grinding/cutting/voiding warranty on my brand new konis/

·
/// Limitless
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
on the e30's your supposed to rewend the spring perches, but thats totally different design than then the e46. I would call GC before I start grinding/cutting/voiding warranty on my brand new konis/
Good suggestion - DOH...

I always trying and DIY everything but sometimes you need to give the guys that made it a call!!!

Since this may get searched and referenced in the future, with the Koni's, GC knew that the sleeve would not fully seat. They told me to notch the sleeve where the end-link tab welds to the shock body, NOT the other way around.

I'll keep peeps updated with my progress as I work through this.

Oh yeah - that black tear drop shaped piece of metal is actually for the rear trailing arm NOT the upper spring pearch reinforcement. I'm getting an instruction manual from them in .PDF form and I'll post a link up when I have it.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
My suggestion still stands.

·
/// Limitless
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My suggestion still stands.
LOL - Gotta give you credit for originality but, mmmmm - no. If you want to come on over and give me a hand well that's another story! :)

·
/// Limitless
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ground Control kit is IN!!!:excited::woot:

But - the crazy thing is that the rear could drop the car low enough to rub the tires so I had to raise it around 7 turns. The front didn't drop the car at all though, in fact it's 1/4" higher than the stock when the adjustment is all the way down.:hmm:

Will the springs settle in and drop further as they break in?

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
now since I know you put them in the right way up, the only possible answer would be to compare where the spring perch is on the koni's vs the stock shocks as that will define the height. they will drop a little but you should be able to be pretty damn low on these,

1 - 20 of 35 Posts