BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to order a set of GC Coilovers and I am trying to decide on what spring rate to go with. I am deciding between:

6" 450lb in the front,
7" 500lb in the rear

or

6" 375lb in the front,
7" 400lb in the rear.

What do you guys think? Obviously, the stiffer setup will handle better but do you think the ride will be too rough?

Johnny, what spring rate are your coilovers? I didn't think your were too stiff at all!!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
YO PD3, I have 475 up front and 600 in the rear. I usually have it set in the middle for daily driving. It is very stiff. My buddy who came in from California hated it!! Bastard made me set it to full soft, and even then it was too stiff for him( I think he's just a *****) :). Nevertheless, if you like a softer ride, go with the longer and less stiff springs.

·
Registered
113 Posts
don't most cars usually have the stiffer springs in the front?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Amir, thanks bro!! I didn't realize that GC made a 600 rear!! Is it a short spring? It must be a 5.5"?!?! So, you have the Koni's set to medium? What about the height?
I have a buddy that works at GC and he changes springs on his coilovers like I change my underwear...once a week!! :eeps: Right now he has a 5.5" 550lb spring in the rear and even on the highest setting, his tires are tucked!! Can you get any gap in the rear if you want?

yy4u, stiffer springs in the rear give you less understeer.:thumbup:

Edit: Holy ish, Amir!! I just realized that you have a 175lb difference. I assume you have sways, right? What setting are they on? You must have a lot of oversteer?!?!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
PortlandDinan3 said:
Amir, thanks bro!! I didn't realize that GC made a 600 rear!! Is it a short spring? It must be a 5.5"?!?! So, you have the Koni's set to medium? What about the height?
I have a buddy that works at GC and he changes springs on his coilovers like I change my underwear...once a week!! :eeps: Right now he has a 5.5" 550lb spring in the rear and even on the highest setting, his tires are tucked!! Can you get any gap in the rear if you want?

yy4u, stiffer springs in the rear give you less understeer.:thumbup:

Edit: Holy ish, Amir!! I just realized that you have a 175lb difference. I assume you have sways, right? What setting are they on? You must have a lot of oversteer?!?!
Sways.....max stiffness all around (they are UUCs)....Actually I think the fronts are the middle, and rears are full stiff. Anyway, as far as the spring length, I honestly can not remember what it is.

As far as being tucked yes, the setup is actually quite low. I will attach an old picture with the stock 17" wheels with the setting in the middle. Has about 1-1.5" left to slam. The setup however, is unbelieveable.

·
Sponsor
90 Posts
yy4u said:
don't most cars usually have the stiffer springs in the front?
The E46's z-link rear suspension has the spring mounted very far inboard, so the motion ratio and effective wheel rate are not comparable to a coil on spring setup.

- -Matt

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jun14scr said:
hmm i can only calculate a 125lbs difference.
See what happens when I don't use my TI-92!! :D Still, that is a pretty big difference!!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Amir said:

Sways.....max stiffness all around (they are UUCs)....Actually I think the fronts are the middle, and rears are full stiff. Anyway, as far as the spring length, I honestly can not remember what it is.

As far as being tucked yes, the setup is actually quite low. I will attach an old picture with the stock 17" wheels with the setting in the middle. Has about 1-1.5" left to slam. The setup however, is unbelieveable.
Thanks Amir!! So I assume that you are happy with GC!! I have heard a lot of mixed feelings. However, the negative remarks usually come from people who don't have Ground Control suspension. Most people who have their products are very happy!!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Yea...disregard comments from those who don't have the setup because they will be biased. Most people think ground control is for "ricers" or whatever because the cost isn't comparable to H&R or Bilstien. Rest assured, that GC is one of the pioneers when it comes to components for BMWs. They were one of the first companies to have any products out for the e46 m3, and I believe are THE ONLY company that makes polyu front lower control arm bushings for the e46. Their suspension setups are made for one thing, performance. You will be very pleased with GC's product!

·
Registered
855 Posts
Amir said:
Yea...disregard comments from those who don't have the setup because they will be biased. Most people think ground control is for "ricers" or whatever because the cost isn't comparable to H&R or Bilstien. Rest assured, that GC is one of the pioneers when it comes to components for BMWs. They were one of the first companies to have any products out for the e46 m3, and I believe are THE ONLY company that makes polyu front lower control arm bushings for the e46. Their suspension setups are made for one thing, performance. You will be very pleased with GC's product!
So do you recomend this over PSS9s? for coilovers?
I am planning to get some coilovers but don't know sh!t about suspension... I was looking at Bilstein PSS9(don't ask me why)... but for the lowest $$, what s the best and easiest coilovers to adjust and have?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Amir!! I appreciate your help. :thumbup:

It also helps that I get the hand-me-downs when my buddy decides to change his setup every week!!

It's funny, as soon as Jay got his E46 M3, he went straight to the drawing board and designed the kit for it. Of course GC came out with a coilover kit for the M3 first :eeps: Just kidding! I'd do the same thing if I owned a phat suspension company!!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
tricxe46 said:

I am planning to get some coilovers but don't know sh!t about suspension... I was looking at Bilstein PSS9(don't ask me why)... but for the lowest $$, what s the best and easiest coilovers to adjust and have?
Well, it really depends what you want. I think Ground Control's coilovers are the best if you are into performance, I actually think TCK's Trackline C/O is actually pretty bad ass. These two setups allow for the most customization as per spring rates, and offer the most types of adjustments. While, I'm not the biggest track junkie myself, I got my GCs for free, so I'm not complaining :).

Anyway, Bilstein and H&R both make awesome setups, and I would highly recommend those if you will mainly be driving on the street. The GCs setups are generally more geared towards racing, and are much much stiffer than most other setups.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Well I never go on tracks... I wish I knew a bunch of people that do...but anyways what do you recomend if I'm just an ordinary street driver for coilovers...pricewise n qualitywise? or do you thinkI dont need coilovers at all? all coilovers adjustable correct?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
tricxe46 said:

Ground Control has the least expensive coilovers out. You are going to hear a lot of mixed opinions, but like Amir said...everyone who has them seems to love them. They use Koni shocks, which I have always like best. Also, I have adjusted GC's coilovers on an E36 and they are VERY easy to adjust!!

So:
1. they are inexpensive,
2. they use adjustable Koni shocks and matched Eibach springs, and
3. they're very easy to adjust

Seems like a safe bet!! :thumbup:

Ticky, all coilovers are height adjustable...not all have dampening and rebound adjustments.

Amir, do you think GC would be fine for street and comprable to the PSS9's with a lower spring rate? You are on the higher end, right?

·
Registered
385 Posts
I run GC race suspension on my track car. I opted
to pay $$$ for the Advance Design shocks instead
of getting the Koni's just because it is a
dedicated track car and I want the fine tuning
it offers. They have every spring rate you can
imagine in increments of 50 lbs/in. so you can
choose whatever setup you want. In addition,
the craftsmanship of their height adjusters and
camber plates is incredible.

Since you don't track your car, go with the softer
of the two choices you listed. Too stiff and
you'll be making piss stops every 10 minutes.

·
Registered
855 Posts
SO... go for the GC?(eventhough I don't track my car at all)
how much is it opposed to PSS9s...

Thanks for all the answers guys...
Hey Shane don't forget to e-mail the part numbers (everything need....bumper, airducts, center grille, and foglights & trim...that's itright?)..:)

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Amir said:
I totally agree! I think GC did themselves a disfavor in terms of company image by advertising in Sports Compact Car w/ a "punk" looking kid. In reality they are a group of hardcore racers who are highly knowledgeable in suspension dynamics and make high quality products. The fact that their coil-over kits don't come with shocks just allows the individual to choose the shocks separately. I'm willing to bet that their AD racing shocks coupled w/ their coil-over kits would outperform all the popular coil-over sets like PSS9, H&R, or KW.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jspeed said:
I totally agree! I think GC did themselves a disfavor in terms of company image by advertising in Sports Compact Car w/ a "punk" looking kid. In reality they are a group of hardcore racers who are highly knowledgeable in suspension dynamics and make high quality products. The fact that their coil-over kits don't come with shocks just allows the individual to choose the shocks separately. I'm willing to bet that their AD racing shocks coupled w/ their coil-over kits would outperform all the popular coil-over sets like PSS9, H&R, or KW.
I know that Ground Control's engineering is top notch!! You have to figure that if they can make suspnsion that racers swear by (Advanced Designs), their Ground Control products should be excellent as well. As I mentioned before, I have a good friend that works for them...he grew up on the race track Karting with Dario and Paul Tracy. He is a Champ Car test driver for Team Kool Green and he races E36's in the Speed Vision Cup. He used Advanced Designs suspension even before he worked for them. That is reason enough for me!! :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts