E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So discovered another issue with my 2005 330i recently. I have been working on my rich codes and possible MAF issues, and then this cropped up.
When turning right, I can hear a strange 'groaning' sound from what seems to be the front right wheel area.
The sound is hard to describe, almost like a door creaking on hinges or a seat groaning when somebody sits in it.
It seems to be worse at slow speeds and the harder I turn. I noticed yesterday that I can hear it slightly when starting from a stop and braking. Not as bad, but still present. This sound does not occur when turning left.
In reading other members experiences, I have narrowed it down to a few possible issues.
1) Bad ball joint, which would mean the control arm needs replaced as well. I would replace both front ones while I am at it. I bought the car used several months ago and I am pretty sure the original units are in the car.
When getting new rear tires mounted and balanced several days ago, the technician mentioned the front right ball joint could need replaced (the shop is one we haven't had good experiences with in that field. They like to tell people that when they aren't sure what they are doing. Bad wheel bearings is a common issue they seem to find. I don't do anything with them but the necessary stuff I can't get another shop to do).
2) Power Steering system. I have checked the fluid level, and that is normal. Next step for that would be to replace the fluid altogether and flush the system. Possibly replace the reservoir and/or fuel pump, depending on what replacing the fluid does.

At this point, I am leaning more towards the Ball Joint, but any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Did you test the ball joint yourself? Lift the car and pry at the joint / try moving the wheel with your hands and try to identify if there is any play. Dont'fool around with a ball joint, If it fails, the damage can be big.

I believe the sound you described is more likely caused by the Ball Joint than by the steering wheel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts